Thread: Increased citalopram dose

Question Increased citalopram dose

Hiya, just to give an update, i have increased my citalopram dose from 50-60mg on tuesday, i have been on them for 6 months now, and on 50mg for 9 weeks, although they are helping a lot, i felt that i was not quite where i wanted to be, so here's hoping the extra 10mg will sort that out. Has anyone else increased like this, and did it help, i hope it does as i would'nt like to go any higher, any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Increased citalopram dose

Blimey thats a high dose .You wont be able to increase anymore as 60mg is the highest dose .Hope it helps .Most people are on 40mg but a few have increased to 60mg .Its not proved or conclusive that 60mg is any more effective than 40mg .Maybe a placebo effect after the 40mg ,it does make you very tired on high doses too so will be more sedating .You have to do other things to help yourself ,be it self help and or therapy to get better as the pills will only do so much .Take care and all the best with it anyway .luv Sue x

I'd agree with that too - think of the medication as a tool to help you get your head straight, but then you're able to do self-help or therapy that will help manage it on a day-to-day basis.

Thanks for that, although i do make an effort to self help, I listen to a self hypnosis cd every morning, and use clare weekes mpi recordings to help with the symptoms of anxiety. I have taken on board your advice, and since increasing to 60mg on tuesday i have felt more anxious and tired, i know this might not last, but i am going back to 50mg today, and will continue to self help in the hope that things will improve, i think we just want to get back to normal as quick as possible, and after nearly a year of being ill, and 6 months on cit i guess i am getting a bit impatient now, but things are a lot better and i do keep busy, go out a lot more now, thank again for your advice

Thread Information