Thread: Citalopram and Diazepam together?

Question Citalopram and Diazepam together?

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with anxiety and minor depression a few months ago. My doctor started me on Citalopram 20 mg per day and also gave me Diazepam 2mg tablets too.
    I didnt ever take the Diazepam as the side effects if the Citalopram werent all that bad, however after the first 4 weeks my anxiety, although numbed, was still there sometimes, so my doctor upped my dosage to 30 mg Citalopram per day, 1 x 20mg and 1 x 10mg pill,
    Now 2 weeks into 30mg, my panic attacks are back, although a bit less than no when on no meds, but worse than the 20mg Citalopram on its own, and the worry is making them worse.
    I feel anxious just heading to the shops again which didnt happen on 20mg, the only times i worried then was 'big occasions' like family parties, job interviews and weddings etc, but i didnt want to get too reliant on Diazepam so thought an increase in Citalopram would be better long term.
    I have taken the diazepam a few times which has helped calm the side effects a bit for a few hours.
    So here's my questions:
    1) Are the panic attacks and anxiety back because of the increase in dose, and is this normal for a 10mg increase??
    2) Can anyonse suggest a 'routine' of the 2 drugs to help keep it stable. I.e. Diazepam 1st thing in the am then 20mg an hour later and 10mg b4 bed, for example.
    I realise everyone is unique but if anyone else has any suggestions all input will be good.

Cheers guys!

Re: Citalopram and Diazepam together?

cheers paul,

I also work shifts so I bang all the citalopram as soon as I wake up, I guess it just took me by surprise as I had no real side effects on just the 20mg and a week after starting on 30, wow, I feel a bit like i'm all over the shop again!!
    And , I didnt want to get too far into the Diazepam side of things really!

Cheers for the reply mate

Heya, in my experience upping the doses of citalopram usually affects my anxiety levels for a few weeks and then settles down.

cheers Emm, I reckon your right

Thread Information