Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scared to increase from 10mg to 20mg of citalopram

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

scared to increase from 10mg to 20mg of citalopram

hi im 16 and about 3 months ago my doctors diagnosed me with depression/anxiety. she prescribed me with 10mg citalopram ive been on it for like 3 months but a few days ago she increased me to 20mg ive been really scared to take it just incase i get any initial side effects that i first did when i started taking it. i took it 2 nights ago and the next day i felt really dizzy and light head and a bit zombified so i didnt take it last night because i was scared i was going to feel like it again. iv been feeling like this for months now its ongoing and i just dont feel like im making any progress:(:( i dont feel like anyone understands! i dont know whether to take it tonight or cut it in half to 10mg. i also have my exams coming up soon :(

Re: scared to increase from 10mg to 20mg of citalopram

oh you poor thing, what a tough time you are having and it can't be easy with having exams coming up soon too. I know that the side effects are quite scary, i have been thru it too myself but things will improve. 10mg is a very low dose and 20mg is more of a therapeutic dose and might be just what you need to get you thru these tough times. xx

I started on 20mg, when I probably should have eased myself into it and taken 10mg for a while. Anyway, 20mg wasn't quite working so my GP told me to increase to 30mg, I was a bit worried about that so I upped to 25mg and that seems to be working fine for me. So do cut 10mg in half for a while if it makes you feel better, I got a pill cutter off Amazon. Good luck. xx

Anthony J. D'Angelo

Hi, 10mg is a low dose but it will still be a shock to the system. If it is hitting you hard, and believe me when I first took citalopram at 20mg it blasted me over backwards, you are fine to simply cut the tablet in half for a week or two.

Don't let this turn into a phobia though, your body will definitely start to adapt to the citalopram over the coming days and weeks, and don't delay your treatment by staying at a lower dose for too long. See how you feel after a week on 10mg and if you think you're ok, try a 20mg dose.

Honestly, while citalopram can be harsh at first, it's not dangerous. It isn't stronger than your body's ability to adapt. Keep taking it and you'll be fine.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

thanks for the replys. my doctor rang me a couple of days ago and said to cut the 20 mg in half and take one half in the morning and one in the night. i still havent brought myself to do it so ive just been taking 10 mg. im going to start taking the 20mg next week, but im just scared i wil get side effect which i cannot afford to get at this time as i have exams coming up very sooon. ive been on citalopram for like 3 months now and dont really feel that much better tbh :(

Go for it jessi, the side effects will not last long and you get the real benefit at 20mg believe me in a few weeks time you will feel good again.

Quote Originally Posted by jessi View Post
    thanks for the replys. my doctor rang me a couple of days ago and said to cut the 20 mg in half and take one half in the morning and one in the night. i still havent brought myself to do it so ive just been taking 10 mg. im going to start taking the 20mg next week, but im just scared i wil get side effect which i cannot afford to get at this time as i have exams coming up very sooon. ive been on citalopram for like 3 months now and dont really feel that much better tbh :(

i hated the feelings these gave me so i used to take them soon as i was getting into bed and if i did feel anything i was asleep do just take 15mg for a week at night and then go onto the full 20mg xx

i just cant bring myself to do it :( i feel as though ill either get even worse i just want to feel myself again :(:(

Quote Originally Posted by jessi View Post
    i just cant bring myself to do it :( i feel as though ill either get even worse i just want to feel myself again :(:(
    I know how difficult it is, really I do. I went straight onto 20mg and had a tough first month but knew it wasn't really helping, so upped to 25mg and it works fine for me. Just up gradually, my GP recommended I go up to 30mg but I wanted to try 25mg first and it worked and there were no side effects. Good luck.

Anthony J. D'Angelo

Jessi, you wont feel better on 10mg it is sub-therapeutic (eg. not strong enough). The side effects of going from 10mg to 20mg are not too bad and only last 1-2 weeks. You will feel yourself again. A year ago I said to my wife I would give away everything I own just to feel myself again, well 5 weeks on 20mg cit have made this happen for the price of a £7.20 prescription.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information