Thread: Coming off venaflaxine

Coming off venaflaxine

I took this anti depressant for over 4 years and spent over a year trying to get off it. I was only on 75mls a day. The withdrawal symptoms were awful. I tried several times but succeeded only recently by reducing my dose first to 37.5 a day then every other day then every 3 days. The withdrawal symptoms may have been masked the first few days of being off completely as I was feeling rotten with a heavy cold and spent a lot of time asleep. I have been off for about 3 weeks now. Does anyone know if there are any long term side effects after coming off venlaflaxine?

Re: Coming off venaflaxine

Quote Originally Posted by LynT View Post
    I tried several times but succeeded only recently by reducing my dose first to 37.5 a day then every other day then every 3 days.
    Welcome to No More Panic,

That was the worst way of weaning off, imho, because venlafaxine has a very short half-life - only 4-5 hours - so skipping days sets up a withdrawal yo-yo effect as the med cuts in and out. Switching to immediate-release tablets and cutting back the dose by small amounts every couple of weeks is usually somewhat better. But for most the best/easiest way to quit is by switching to fluoxetine (Prozac) for a month and then weaning off it. Fluoxetine has a very long half-life - about 6 days, plus around 16 days for its active metabolite which actually does most of the work - thus taking about a month for the drug itself to completely leave the body after the last dose, and several more months for the metabolite, so it gently self-tapers. OTOH, venlafaxine is completely eliminated in 1-2 days.

Does anyone know if there are any long term side effects after coming off venlaflaxine?
    No. However, as with all antidepressants, once the drug is discontinued the brain changes it initiated may begin to unravel and anxiety and/or depression may reassert themselves.

Re: Coming off venaflaxine

Hey,

I took venlaflaxine for about 2 years. While it helped me with my issues it was the worst thing to come off of. Its been over 4 years now since I stopped and I can tell you it will get better. I did find while I was going through the withdraw that a dose of fish oil before bed did help with the wet foggy brain feeling if you are having them. Stay strong it will get better trust me. GOOD LUCK!

Thread Information