Thread: Just started Venlafaxine - I'm struggling

Just started Venlafaxine - I'm struggling

Hi all, first post here.

I started venlafaxine on saturday, so I'm day 4 into side-effect hell. I do have a question though. I was told to take one 37.5mg immediate release tablet once a day - I take it in the morning. However I know that the drug has a very short half-life (hence taking immediate release tablets twice a day!). I also know that some people feel discontinuation effects if they miss just one dose.

I feel ok-ish during the day now; a bit spaced out and I just feel very weird in a way I can't describe, but by bedtime I'm a jittery, anxious mess. It's having a huge effect on my sleep. It's almost like as soon as I start drifting off there's buzzing under my skin that jolts me awake, and I feel a bit anxious/sick when it happens, I'm finding it difficult to describe! I've had to take diazepam the last couple of nights and I'd rather not do that for too long :(

My question is - am I experiencing discontinuation from the med by the time nighttime comes round? Is that possible?

Also any tips for disturbed sleep? I'm really hoping this settles soon as I really really love sleeping and at the moment the meds are taking that away from me :(

Thank you all!

Re: Just started Venlafaxine - I'm struggling

Venlafaxine is the one medication, the only one, that has helped me get better nights' sleep. I only felt side-effects for the first few days of taking it (I started on 35.7 mg, half a tablet in the morning, half in the evening) and they mainly consisted of shakiness and dizziness. I'd advise you to wait a few more days, and if the side-effects persist, contact your doctor. There is no point is taking something that makes you suffer more than it makes the suffering go away!

Also, I've been late on taking my medication before, by an hour or two hours, and it's never been a bother. I doubt that XR have such a short shell life otherwise you'd been warned about it by your doctor, I think.

Ok thank you, that's reassuring! I know side-effects go away after a week or so, but it's difficult in the meantime!

I'm taking immediate release tablets which is why I'm a tad worried about withdrawal happening so quickly, I will be adding in an evening dose in a few days though so fingers crossed that helps!

Just a thought... are you sure you were told to take just one tablet or did they mean take one single dosage (37.5 mg)? In which case, you'd cut the tablet in two and take one half in the morning and one in the afternoon?
    That's how I started.

If you're adding another dose, though, don't worry about it. It'll sort itself out

She definitely told me to take one a day. I wanted to split the tablet and take it twice a day - I tried to find a pill cutter in a few different pharmacies etc but noone had any :( I tried breaking one in half by hand, but the pills are too thick (or maybe I'm too weak?!).

The side effects have improved a lot today, just need to get on top of the insomnia now!

Using a knife works just as well. Just put the blade against the place where a midpoint is on the tablet and press on the blade.

I think your doctor must have meant to take half in the morning and half in the evening. Glad the side effects are improving.

Thread Information