Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fireworks

Re: Fireworks

Expecting an awful weekend and it's started. There is no consideration in this country anymore and I hate it. Thought it was going to well. Fireworks earlier which then died down. Then at 10.40pm it starts again.

Dog wound up and I'm just disintegrating again. I can't cope with all of this. Any excuse for fireworks. It's Halloween coming up so more fireworks probably both on that night and of course this weekend. I just can't understand. I'm shaking and my hands have pins and needles. I'm on edge all the time and with all my anxieties I'm a mess and worn out.

Why can't I cope with anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    Expecting an awful weekend and it's started. There is no consideration in this country anymore and I hate it. Thought it was going to well. Fireworks earlier which then died down. Then at 10.40pm it starts again.

Dog wound up and I'm just disintegrating again. I can't cope with all of this. Any excuse for fireworks. It's Halloween coming up so more fireworks probably both on that night and of course this weekend. I just can't understand. I'm shaking and my hands have pins and needles. I'm on edge all the time and with all my anxieties I'm a mess and worn out.

Why can't I cope with anything!
    Hi Polar Bear I hear you loud and clear for years my dog who is 10 now had many stressful firework nights and my stress didnt help my dog either and made her much worse so I have learnt by a couple of things not getting stressed out and introducing techniques to keep my dog less stressed does really help I introduced Rescue Remedy in to the mix and it really does help my dog and with a combination of me not being stressed also makes a huge difference. like tonight fireworks have been going off I have kept calm and so has my dog haven't used rescue remedy as much as I used to do say 4 years ago she is lying by the side of the sofa and is barely shaking.

So may I suggest you try some Rescue Remedy on you and your dog it will help take the edge of the anxiety as you cant go on like this and neither can your dog!! Let us know how you get on ATB

Thanks for that.

I'll try some rescue remedy for us both. I've definitely made her worse over the last couple of years. It's good to hear that your dog has improved. Gives me some hope that we can improve things as well.

As you say I can't carry on like this. I was a wreck last night and already worrying about tonight. Need to try to relax and help our dog to keep as calm as possible.

Thanks for your help. Will definitely keep you posted.

Thanks for that.

I'll try some rescue remedy for us both. I've definitely made her worse over the last couple of years. It's good to hear that your dog has improved. Gives me some hope that we can improve things as well.

As you say I can't carry on like this. I was a wreck last night and already worrying about tonight. Need to try to relax and help our dog to keep as calm as possible.

Thanks for your help. Will definitely keep you posted.
    My pleasure mate I was the same and couldn't see the wood for the trees she is 80% better now because of the changes I have made and 'tolerates' fireworks now. Here is a tip RR can be put in the water bowl and is apparently more potent that way so say you have got some now (Holland and Barratt) sell it) just put 6 drops in her water(she or you cant overdose on it and it's completely safe to use) and let her drink her water before it gets dark, you can simply put 5 drops on your tongue or in a glass of water too you wont feel drowsy or you dog but will feel subdued which is what it's supposed to do and is none habit forming and can be topped up at any time with out any ill effects. Look forward to hearing how it goes take care and give your dog a gentle hug from me and my girl ATB

Actually a major improvement last night had to go up stairs for some thing took longer than I expected and fireworks started again (there was some earlier on in the evening) any way I thought I better get down stairs to see if she was alright I sort of expected to find her in the kitchen (she has a trick of pushing the door from the living room to kitchen and opening it) well I stayed up stairs till I found what I was looking for so must have been 30 mins or so, came down stairs no she wasn't in the kitchen and opened the door from the kitchen to front room

and no she wasn't lying by the side of the sofa which would have been ok she was on her mat lying by the coal fire which was lit she hadn't moved even though I was upstairs and fire works were going off! So how is that ATB

Great to hear about your success last night. Sounds like a big stride forward.

I had been expecting an awful evening as this weekend is often full of fireworks because of Halloween. There were fireworks but we tried some strategies. We turned up the TV, turned the tumble drier on and the cooker extractor fan. Also used some rescue remedy on the dog and myself. The dog has a thunder shirt as well and we also have put on one of the Adaptil diffusers all yesterday. The dog had a busy day yesterday and was quite tired as well. The accumulative effect of all that was the dog missing some of the fireworks and whilst she reacted to some she seemed to be much better and we managed to distract her.

A much better night. Hope we can keep this up and continue the improvement. Fingers crossed.

Thanks She is miles better than say 5 years ago but last night was the icing on the cake I was proud of her and my self for sticking with it so it will only get better seems like your dog has just started the journey too to get better My dog was probably at the same stage as mine was but never needed tumble dryer on but have turned the tv up so stick with it, it all boils down to consistency and repetition and you could give her a few tasty treats when she doesn't react did you put some rescue remedy in her water bowl? Then at least its got time to get in her system. if I asked you before I apologise what breed is she ATB

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    Thanks She is miles better than say 5 years ago but last night was the icing on the cake I was proud of her and my self for sticking with it so it will only get better seems like your dog has just started the journey too to get better My dog was probably at the same stage as mine was but never needed tumble dryer on but have turned the tv up so stick with it, it all boils down to consistency and repetition and you could give her a few tasty treats when she doesn't react did you put some rescue remedy in her water bowl? Then at least its got time to get in her system. if I asked you before I apologise what breed is she ATB
    It must have been a great feeling last night to see your dog doing so well. Yes we put the rescue remedy in her water bowl. She is a Welsh Sheepdog. They are similar to Border Collies in lots of ways but have some distinctive physical and intellectual characteristics. I've not helped with my anxieties but she is getting better. A beautiful dog and a really intelligent and sensitive one. She was rescued and when we got her she reacted to so many things. It's been a long journey slowed down by me I think but we are getting there. I was really encouraged by last night. Just seeing the light at the end of the tunnel I think.

Thanks for your support once again. It definitely helps to talk. I've had an up and down day generally again but feeling more positive at the moment.

Mike

It must have been a great feeling last night to see your dog doing so well. Yes we put the rescue remedy in her water bowl. She is a Welsh Sheepdog. They are similar to Border Collies in lots of ways but have some distinctive physical and intellectual characteristics. I've not helped with my anxieties but she is getting better. A beautiful dog and a really intelligent and sensitive one. She was rescued and when we got her she reacted to so many things. It's been a long journey slowed down by me I think but we are getting there. I was really encouraged by last night. Just seeing the light at the end of the tunnel I think.

Thanks for your support once again. It definitely helps to talk. I've had an up and down day generally again but feeling more positive at the moment.

Mike
    Yes indeed I was surprised my self too but thought why not it's all the hard work I put in over the years That's good and the thing is with rescue remedy it can be topped up over the whole day if needed, She sounds a really nice dog kudos to you for rescuing her They are extremely intelligent but skittish too (on edge) No don't blame your self I used to think like you, will say this now you are getting tools in place to help you! And that's positive thinking the light at the end of the tunnel is now in site keep moving forward and you will get there ATB

Even more success last night loads and I mean loads of fireworks went off last night every type the big booming ones the swoosh ones that make those noises and had my fire lit while my dog was at the side of the sofa I have trained her to go there and it is a safe spot (she used to barge the door in the to the kitchen and shake like a leaf in there ) I got up out of my chair and started to dance around smiley face and started to sing la la la etc and she came out and actually sat on her mat next to the coal fire ( which is unusual) which was lit so what I am saying is in the past she would lie by the side of the sofa for hrs and hrs till it was safe to move and before the sofa it was I am off to hide any where even on the landing all alone so 100% improvement on this now but going to get some more rescue remedy today just to make it even better she even took a treat off me last night which is also a good sign as when dogs are scared nothing can entice them to eat as they are more focused on the thing that is bothering them so all in all very pleased with her progress folks ATB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information