Thread: Scared to take Citalopram because of side effects

Scared to take Citalopram because of side effects

Hi,
    I suffer with health anxiety and panic attacks and yesterday I plucked up the courage to go and see my doctor.
    I also suffer with pvc’s, my doctor reluctantly referred me to a cardiologist where I had various tests. They all came back fine (not sure how!)
    I feel them all day long but apparently that’s ok, anyhow my doctor is convinced my pvc’s are down to my anxiety... I’m not convinced!
    He’s prescribed me 10mg Citalopram and mentioned a few possible side effects. However I still haven’t started them as I’m terrified of the side effects I’ve read about. I’ve read that they make anxiety symptoms worse, can cause palpitations, excessive sweating, insomnia etc.
    Does anybody have any good experiences as I’m so afraid to take them. I just want to start feeling normal again. I’m fed up of being plagued with constant worry about my health but don’t want to take something that could make me feel worse!

Re: Scared to take Citalopram because of side effects

Hi Starbright, I'm taking escitalopram, which is related to citalopram, but I think the side effects profile is supposed to be slightly better for escitalopram. For the first two weeks of use, my anxiety was definitely higher, and I suffered from tremor and insomnia. However, I'd say: don't let that put you off!! Antidepressants do really help, and now, I'm feeling a lot calmer and my anxiety is much easier to manage. The first two weeks or so are difficult, but if you can push through this period whilst your body adjusts to the medication, the side effects usually improve/disappear, including the anxiety. I've suffered with anxiety for many years, and the use of antidepressants has made me feel much better. One thing that helps a lot of people is starting on half the prescribed dose for a few days before moving onto the full dose. Maybe try that?? Hopefully some users of citalopram will be along shortly to give some specific advice about starting this drug.
    Last edited by JamesG_UK; 08-11-17 at 15:53.

Re: Scared to take Citalopram because of side effects

Yes take 5milligrams for two weeks then the ten...it will be kinder to your body..iam on ten now for 18months and it definitely is a god sent...take care

Thread Information