Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anything that bangs (or makes a loud noise)

Unhappy Anything that bangs (or makes a loud noise)

Hi guys - I saw that there have been topics on this in the past, but they were all 2+ years old, so I thought it would be ok to start a new thread

Basically, ever since I was a kid, I have been terrified of anything that bangs or makes a loud, startling noise. I don't really know when it started because I have memories of being a very young child at birthday parties and having fun bursting balloons, firing cap guns etc., with no problem at all.

I now have to avoid any situations where there is a chance of something banging or making a loud noise unexpectedly and obviously guy fawkes night is a massive nightmare! As much as I have tried to get over it as I've gotten older, I really can't. As an example, I recently attended a birthday party for a friend's young daughter, where there were obviously a lot of balloons... I was on edge the whole time and repeatedly had to make excuses to leave the room and even go out of the house.

It is so incredibly disruptive to a lot of situations (way more than you would expect) and therefore, I'd love to try and resolve the underlying problems, so any advice that anyone can provide would be really really really appreciated!

Many thanks

Re: Anything that bangs (or makes a loud noise)

Before i was diagnosed with depression and anxiety I could go to the loudest places I was fine. Since, I've been left flinching at noises such as fast cars, balloons popping, sudden music, things falling and breaking. Doors banging you name it I jump out of my skin, I guess it has something to do with the toll taken on my nervous system. Do you suffer any other levels of anxiety, if so my guess is that's making you sensitive. Hope that helps.

Hi Mandy, thanks for the reply

Up until I was an adult I didn't really suffer from anything else anxiety wise (at least I don't think I did), yet I've always had this fear of bangs and loud noises (ever since I was about 5 or 6, I guess). Like you, I am very jumpy around the silliest of things and really do flinch a lot whenever I hear something unexpected. Worse than that is the fear of knowing that something might bang or make a loud noise... That puts me on edge like nothing else!

Have you managed to take any steps towards reducing / stopping it happening?

I suffer with this quite a bit. But with me, it's the unexpected bang or loud noise. If I see a Car approaching I know it will be making a noise, but if someone starts up a motorbike or Police turn on their siren, my whole body jumps out of its skin. (Not literally, just a figure of speech).
    I think this is down to the nerves and because us anxious people think something bad is about to happen, the Bang/Loud noise is maybe mis-interpreted as an explosion or crash or something.
    I only said the other day, "Thank God, I wasn't living through the War years, I really wouldn't be able to cope with all those bombs and aircraft". I don't know how those people lived through all that, it must have been a nightmare!!!

Even on anti depressants I haven't found a cure , I temporarily tried for anxiety diazapam and that worked as a muscle relaxant but I felt so dosey I came off, plus as they are super addictive they are not recommended as a permanent measure. I have been recommended kalms as an alternative, which I haven't tried but will try anything

I'm the same... I am def worst with the unexpected noises, although I still hate anything loud - i.e. even if I knew someone was about to burst a balloon, and I could control exactly when it happened, I would still really hate it.

As I said, no idea if it's linked to my anxiety or not due to the fact that I had it as a child and don't really remember being anxious about much growing up - I was quite a shy kid though and haven't really enjoyed confrontation too much due to things at home... That's a whole other story though!

Hi AnxietyDJ, I'm like this too. I've been like it since I was a kid, still can't stand balloons being popped near me, it makes me really nervy and on edge, I hate bangs etc. I've always suffered with my nerves since my anxiety problems started. Drivers pipping makes me feel on edge and jumpy. When I was at school, kids used to startle me on purpose because they knew how bad my nerves were

I avoid going to noisy places too and avoid loud music, fireworks. You were really brave to go the your friends daughters party even though there were balloons popping. It must have been anxious, stressful for you but you went and did great, I bet they were happy to see you at the party

When I was at a party when I was a kid, we played a game where we tied balloons around our ankles and had to stamp on other peoples balloons until only 1 person was left with balloons. I only coped for a few seconds and had a panic attack and broke down in tears. I then ran out of the room and refused to go back in until the game was over. I do feel my anxiety and nerves are linked.

Have you talked about this with your doctor or a therapist ?
    If your not sure if this linked with your anxiety, you could still ask your doctor for advice or information and of course, there's always information online. Some people just dont like loud noises and bangs and thats perfectly ok I imagine most people dislike balloons being popped near them or very loud music, bangs etc. Hope this helps.

I'm not usually very jumpy with noises,but since I've been taking mirtazapine I've been "startled" very easily.
    I was in the waiting room at the doctors the other day,and when the buzzer went,I nearly hit the ceiling! Lol
    Normally it wouldn't bother me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan92 View Post
    Hi AnxietyDJ, I'm like this too. I've been like it since I was a kid, still can't stand balloons being popped near me, it makes me really nervy and on edge, I hate bangs etc. I've always suffered with my nerves since my anxiety problems started. Drivers pipping makes me feel on edge and jumpy. When I was at school, kids used to startle me on purpose because they knew how bad my nerves were

I avoid going to noisy places too and avoid loud music, fireworks. You were really brave to go the your friends daughters party even though there were balloons popping. It must have been anxious, stressful for you but you went and did great, I bet they were happy to see you at the party

When I was at a party when I was a kid, we played a game where we tied balloons around our ankles and had to stamp on other peoples balloons until only 1 person was left with balloons. I only coped for a few seconds and had a panic attack and broke down in tears. I then ran out of the room and refused to go back in until the game was over. I do feel my anxiety and nerves are linked.

Have you talked about this with your doctor or a therapist ?
    If your not sure if this linked with your anxiety, you could still ask your doctor for advice or information and of course, there's always information online. Some people just dont like loud noises and bangs and thats perfectly ok I imagine most people dislike balloons being popped near them or very loud music, bangs etc. Hope this helps.
    Hi Ryan, thanks for the reply and kind words Sorry to hear that you also encounter a lot of the same stresses with loud noises and bangs... It can be awful :( As I said before, I was always fine with it as a small child... I just wish I could remember how and when the fears kicked in

I always grew up in quite a 'macho' environment... My family and friends were the type that would laugh at you if you got upset about something they deemed as silly, so I always tried to hide my fear as best I could, which led to it being worse I think.

I've never told a doctor (or anyone) about this fear - maybe I should... I just had it in my head that I was the only one who felt this way... I've never met anyone else that did (unless, like me, they hid it away of course), so felt a bit ashamed of myself.

Strangely, the one thing that I do like being loud, is music (I probably listen to it too loud in fact!)

Hope you've had a good weekend!

I am the same. Someone put a firework (a banger) in my coat pocket as a child.
    I won't have balloons in the house even for grand child. Everyone knows my problem
    with this. I don't mind loud music if it something I like. But not sudden bangsxx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information