Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anything that bangs (or makes a loud noise)

Re: Anything that bangs (or makes a loud noise)

Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    I am the same. Someone put a firework (a banger) in my coat pocket as a child.
    I won't have balloons in the house even for grand child. Everyone knows my problem
    with this. I don't mind loud music if it something I like. But not sudden bangsxx
    Thanks for the reply, Magic... It's so reassuring to know that it isn't just me!

Is everyone ok with you not liking bangs? I'm so worried how people would react if I told them

Same with me even someone clicking the light switch can make me jump and my heart thud. We're hypersensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by amber2k13a View Post
    Same with me even someone clicking the light switch can make me jump and my heart thud. We're hypersensitive.
    Don't say that so loud... You made me jump

Hi. I too have this problem. It started with a balloon I was playing with bursting when I was about 5 or 6. I was scared out of my wits by the big bang it made and the fact that one second it was a nice big yellow floaty globe and the next it made the bang and bits flew everywhere.
    For years after that and to this day I have suffered anxiety attacks when anywhere near balloons. I did manage to make progress in my teens and twenties and eventually managed to blow balloons up in private but could never bring myself to burst them. I wrongly thought that blowing a balloon up then sticking a pin into it would make me accept the bang but I couldnt even bring myself to burst the balloon.
    My biggest problem is when balloons are in the hands of others and I have no control over when the bang may come. Ive been around people blowing balloons up and though they blow them up to full they can tie them off and not burst any. Its the fear of the unexpected bang that does it and I have to say that through my life it has been a major problem to me. I completely understand why anyone has this problem and its amazing just how many people have a fear of sudden loud noises of all sorts. I still jump when there is any loud unexpected noise outside but a lot of these noises are totally unexpected. The worst for me is where the noise is anticipated, as in the case of balloons being blown up.
    When I was young and indeed all my life I have been afraid to admit to anyone that I could be afraid of being around balloons and that I have a fear of loud bangs.
    Fireworks were also a major cause of this anxiety and I have always hated them. I can do all sorts of things that demand a bit of courage but if any of you sat next to me and pulled out a balloon and started to blow it up I would be off! Crazy but thats my life.
    I'd like to say that I could suggest how you nice people could avercome this but Ive tried a lot of things and never found an answer. The advent of the internet and websites like this at least let us know that a lot of others suffer from it and its a relief to be able to discuss it and chat about it with others.

I was there when my mom shot herself so I have PTSD and banging / loud noises scare me too... So I'm sorry you are going through this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    I suffer with this quite a bit. But with me, it's the unexpected bang or loud noise. If I see a Car approaching I know it will be making a noise, but if someone starts up a motorbike or Police turn on their siren, my whole body jumps out of its skin. (Not literally, just a figure of speech).
    I think this is down to the nerves and because us anxious people think something bad is about to happen, the Bang/Loud noise is maybe mis-interpreted as an explosion or crash or something.
    I only said the other day, "Thank God, I wasn't living through the War years, I really wouldn't be able to cope with all those bombs and aircraft". I don't know how those people lived through all that, it must have been a nightmare!!!
    Hi

¿Have you ever tried to produce yourself this kind of noises (I mean, a sound track played intentionally)? It might be a controlled way of desesensitisation: you control the noises, but the sound itself is more or less unexpected... It has been effective in my case, with an audio editor and sounds downloaded from the web (all free).

Hope this works also with you.

Hey again everyone... Sorry to resurrect this thread from the NMP vaults

Two of my friends are getting married next weekend, and are having a real DIY wedding, which means I am required to help with a lot of the setup (I am best man).

It will sound so silly, i'm sure, but I am getting really worked up about the possibility of being required to sort out the balloons for the hall. Firstly, I don't even know if they are having balloons and secondly, I don't even know if I would be asked to help with them, but if they are, and I am, I don't know how I can get out of it without looking like a complete idiot or oddball?! I'm going through quite a good period right now anxiety-wise, but am starting to feel really on edge about this. Balloons are my arch-nemesis when it comes to my fear of bangs!

Any advice on what I should say or do?!

Thanks as always

If the person you are talking to does not appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear. Winnie-the-pooh

Up ahead they's a thousan' lives we might live, but when it comes it'll on'y be one. Ma Joad

Quote Originally Posted by AnxietyDJ View Post
    Hey again everyone... Sorry to resurrect this thread from the NMP vaults

Two of my friends are getting married next weekend, and are having a real DIY wedding, which means I am required to help with a lot of the setup (I am best man).

It will sound so silly, i'm sure, but I am getting really worked up about the possibility of being required to sort out the balloons for the hall. Firstly, I don't even know if they are having balloons and secondly, I don't even know if I would be asked to help with them, but if they are, and I am, I don't know how I can get out of it without looking like a complete idiot or oddball?! I'm going through quite a good period right now anxiety-wise, but am starting to feel really on edge about this. Balloons are my arch-nemesis when it comes to my fear of bangs!

Any advice on what I should say or do?!

Thanks as always
    My advice is just to be really honest. First, ask them if they are having balloons. If not, you're off the hook. If yes, I'd just let them know about your fear. My mom is the same way, and I've never thought that it was a weird phobia. She actually sees black spots when she hears a loud noise. I don't know anyone who actually enjoys balloons popping (or any surprise loud noises for that matter). They are your friends, and if they are good, true friends they should understand. And if they don't, then shame on them.

I am exactly the same issue . I have just posted something if you would like to read. Thank God I`m not the only person. Everyone thinks I`m stupid or a baby. Do you know how common it is . Best of Luck, thinking of you all xx

I have suffered like this but it's been my whole life and we have found out it is sensor processing disorder, I hear sounds louder than the average human and certain frequencies can trigger panic attacks.
    Ear defenders/ plugs and headphones are very good for keeping the noise at bay
    Last edited by Hedgehogs4life; 03-01-16 at 23:54. Reason: Forgot to add

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information