Thread: My journey from Citalopram to Venlafaxine

My journey from Citalopram to Venlafaxine

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but I wanted a place to write about my experience going from citalopram to venlafaxine, and I've found the No More Panic forum to be really helpful whenever I have questions or worries about anxiety. I've seen a few threads where people document their experiences with new medications, and I thought it would be a good idea to do that myself- I think writing about it might help me feel less nervous about the whole affair, and it's my hope that others making this transition in the future will be able to gain something from reading it. It seems like for every ven success story there's a horror story, and I'm really not quite sure what to expect, but no matter where I end up I hope that my story can be helpful to someone else.

I'm 30 years old, and I've been struggling with panic attacks for around 10 years at this point. I first started getting them in college, and the first time I had one I ended up in an emergency room because I thought I might be having a heart attack or something. I wouldn't get them all the time, usually once every 6 months or so, and for years I didn't do much of anything to treat them, as the effects would pass within a few days and I would get on with my life like normal. As time went by, however, I found the attacks to be getting more severe and more frequent, and they began to be accompanied by a more general feeling of anxiety that crept more and more into my life. Often it would start over some minor health concern or future engagement that was stressing me out and spiral out of control from there, or sometimes it would have no clear focus at all but rather just be a feeling sitting in the back of my brain causing me to needlessly worry over all manner of seemingly innocuous things. It took me a long time to admit to myself that I needed help, but I finally decided to see a doctor about it after a particularly bad episode about 2-3 years ago- I had stayed up all night the night before working on a test for a job I was trying to get, keeping myself awake with 5-hour energy and coffee, and the next day I had a panic attack that left me out of commission for days, laying on my couch feeling like I was going to die. (I didn't get the job )

So, a few days later I went to a doctor who prescribed me 20mg Citalopram, which I've been taking ever since. The initial roll-on was pretty horrendous for me, and actually made my anxiety/panic symptoms a lot worse for about a week, but slowly the clouds started to part and within a month I felt like I was living my old life again. Granted, it wasn't a miracle cure- I still got spells of moderate anxiety and found the medicine to cloud my mind a little bit, but I was able to live panic attack-free for a few years, which was all I could have hoped for. Unfortunately, that changed recently, as a few weeks ago I had the worst anxiety attack I've ever had. I'm pretty sure I'm partially to blame for how bad it was- it happened just after I'd spent a few days at a music festival partying with friends, which involved a lot of drinking and at least one day, maybe two, where I forgot to take the pill. I'd never had any major problems with alcohol while on citalopram before, and I'd skipped pills in the past without incident, but I'm sure the combination of the two helped to trigger the attack, or at least make it worse than it would otherwise have been. The day after I got home, I found myself feeling sick and getting headaches, and the resulting anxiety quickly spiraled out of control. I was shaking, sweating, getting chills, feeling faint, the works. This literally lasted for days, and at one point I convinced myself that I must have contracted some terrible disease that was surely going to kill me. It got bad enough for me to call out sick from work, as I couldn't focus on anything long enough to keep my mind from cycling through the same terrifying thoughts. I've never felt worse in my entire life, and the situation seemed completely hopeless from where I was, like I would never be able to escape from it. I'm so thankful to have had my loving family to talk to during that time, as calling and talking to them seemed to be the only thing that brought me any small measure of relief. I don't know what I would have done without them- I moved to a new state for work about half a year ago, and I've been living by myself without having made any good friends here, so I felt completely alone. The worst part about it was that this time the anxiety just didn't seem to be going away- with my previous attacks, I would usually start feeling better within a few days, but this time they stayed with me for weeks. The heightened fear of the panic attack slowly wore off, but I was left with a constant underlying feeling of anxiety, and worse, depression, which was a first for me. I found myself nervous and fearful of even small, mundane tasks, the very task of living seemed intimidating to me. This led my mind to some dark places, and I found myself besieged by recurring intrusive thoughts, thinking a lot about death and even suicide (Not something I ever seriously entertained, but the thought itself kept returning to my mind, and as someone who has never really had those thoughts before, that was scary enough.) Throughout this whole time I continued to take the citalopram, but it didn't seem to be helping the situation, so I made an appointment with a new doctor here. Initially I thought the best thing would be to just up my dose of citalopram, seeing how it had helped me in the past, but she suggested instead that I switch to 75mg venlafaxine XR, which she said was generally better at treating anxiety. (I should mention that this doctor was a GP and not a psychiatrist, I've been trying to set up an appointment with a psych ever since this started but all the ones I've called so far either have me on a waiting list or aren't accepting new patients at all.) I did some research and was a little freaked out reading all the side effects and aforementioned horror stories about venlafaxine, but ultimately I decided to give it a try. In addition to the new meds, I've also made some lifestyle changes over the last couple weeks that I plan to stick with- I've cut out caffeine and alcohol and am trying to eat healthier in general, I'm waking up early every other morning to eat a light breakfast and go jogging, and I've started practicing mindfulness meditation for 20 minutes a day. I'm really hoping this stuff is going to help- I've already noticed some mood benefits on the days that I exercise, which is encouraging.

So, that's the (long) story of how I got to where I am now. I started taking the venlafaxine two days ago, and I'm cross tapering for a week with 10mg citalopram and 37.5mg venlafaxine before moving up to 75mg. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a nervous wreck about it right now, but I'm hoping that documenting the process like this will help me get through it. My plan is to update this thread every few days with updates on how I'm feeling for at least the next month or so, and if it goes well (god willing!), I hope to come back here periodically to let people know how it's working long-term, and give support to others. If anybody else who has been through/is currently going through something similar is reading this, or if anyone just has any suggestions or comments, I'd be happy to hear from you! Thanks guys, wish me luck!

Re: My journey from Citalopram to Venlafaxine

So, I'm a few days into the cross-taper and so far I haven't had any bad side effects, but at the same time I don't really feel much different. I guess that's to be expected as I haven't even reached the full 75mg dose yet, and I know these drugs can take weeks to really work, but it's still a bit disheartening. I'm still dealing with a constant anxiety every day that colors all of my experiences, and despite my efforts, it's all I can think about. Like I said in my earlier post, it's not directed at any one thing but rather just a general anxiety about everything, which makes it very frustrating to live with as I know it's irrational but there's nothing I can really do about it except wait for the meds to (hopefully) work. Meditation has helped me clear my mind a bit, but once I'm finished meditating the anxiety comes rushing back in. I'm hoping that sticking with meditation long-term will make me less anxious in general, but right now it seems like little more than a temporary distraction for my mind. Trying to stay upbeat though, as much as I can.

One of the things that's started to concern me a bit is that after doing some more reading about venlafaxine, I'm not sure if it's really going to be more effective than the citalopram at the dose the doctor prescribed. From what I understand, at 75mg ven doesn't really affect norepinephrine, making it essentially the same as citalopram (as it works only on serotonin). I'm not yet convinced that it will do anything more for me than the citalopram did, but I'm going to give it a month at 75mg and see how I feel. I'd prefer not to increase the dose if possible, if only because I'm a bit worried about possible side effects and long-term effects of higher doses, but I'll do it if I have to. If anybody reading this has made this switch, or just taken 75mg for a while, I'd be curious to know how effective you find it to be compared to citalopram. In the meantime I'll soldier on, and post another update in a few days. Thanks guys!

Today was my last day taking the 37.5mg dose, so I'll be stopping the citalopram and starting the full dose of ven tomorrow. Anxiety has been up and down over the last few days, but I will say that overall I feel quite a bit better than I did before starting the medicine which is a really good sign. In my last post I mentioned being worried that 75mg might not do it for me, but if I continue to feel better after rolling onto the full dose then I'm cautiously optimistic that I may not have to increase it. I posted on Reddit about my concern that 75mg ven and 20mg citalopram were the same thing, but a user helpfully pointed out that while it's true that ven isn't really an SNRI until you hit the higher doses, it's still chemically different from citalopram and works on different receptors in the brain, so that put me at ease a little. As far as non-medication-based coping strategies go, I've been keeping up the exercise, diet, and meditation, and while I can't tell exactly how much any of those things are helping me, as I said earlier I am feeling better in general. I've recently been listening to the audiobook "10% Happier" by Dan Harris, and that's really helped me to understand the potential value that meditation can have. If you haven't read it I would highly recommend it, it's sort of a skeptic's personal experience with meditation and examines the subject with a scientific approach. I haven't really experienced any bad side effects at all which is a huge relief, here's hoping that trend continues at the new dose. I'll post again in a few days, wish me luck!

Hey guys, I've been on the full 75mg dose for about 5 days now and I've noticed the anxiety starting to flare up again somewhat in the last few days. Part of that may be due to my body adjusting to the increased dose, and part may be environmental factors- I took an extended weekend off work to go camping with some friends out of state. (At the airport waiting to head home right now in fact.) It was a lot of fun and I think the activity and social interaction was definitely good for me, but I noticed that often after waking up I would fall back into patterns of anxious thoughts and that general feeling of 'bad'. At this point I don't really know whether to classify it as anxiety or depression, I know the two can be closely related and considering my mood I think it's probably a combination of both. I never really used to struggle with depression even when I had panic attacks, so I'm a little worried that it's going to get worse in the future. The good news is that this mood often lifts as the day goes on, and I noticed this pattern even before starting the new medication- the anxiety is usually at its worst in the mornings, and often by the evening I'll feel quite a bit better. I don't really know why it usually plays out that way (has anyone else noticed this?), and I'm wondering if I shouldn't start meditating in the mornings instead of the evenings to see if it's more effective. Still cutting out caffeine except for the occasional decaf coffee, as far as alcohol I did make a bit of an exception this weekend as it was a special occasion- I know that probably wasn't a great idea considering I'm adjusting to new meds but I only had a few beers each night and didn't really notice any negative effects. From here it's business as usual, going back to work and giving the medicine time to get into my system. I'm hoping that the flares of anxiety will lessen as it does, I'll update again in a few days and let you know how it's going!

Hey guys, about 10 days into the full dose now, and by god, I think I'm actually starting to feel better. I'm almost afraid to say that, as though I'm going to jinx it or something... It's like I don't really trust the feeling yet. At my worst, I was feeling like there was no way I was ever going to get better, and for a while I felt fully convinced of that, so the fact that some of the darkness has lifted feels like a small miracle. Not that everything is perfect, of course... I am still getting spells of panic and heightened anxiety, but they usually pass within the hour, and the constant background anxiety and fear of every little thing, while still there, has significantly reduced since I started posting. For the first time in weeks, I find myself feeling optimistic, and even just that simple feeling is such an enormous relief.

I wanted to take a moment to talk about one aspect that I feel has really helped me in my recovery- mindfulness meditation. Before I had this attack, I had never meditated in my life, never even really considered it. I had kind of assumed, as I'm sure many do, that it was more of a religious or spiritual practice than anything else, and associated it with images of chanting buddhist monks or the sort of people you hear talking about things like chakra alignment and healing crystals. (Not trying to put those people down mind you, it's just that that stuff ain't for me.) And when I first started looking into it I was still skeptical- the first piece of literature I read on it was from the meditation subreddit, and while helpful, it referenced things like enlightenment, psychic powers, and a profound understanding of the universe- but as I continued learning about mindfulness meditation in particular, I began to realize its potential as a really useful tool for dealing with anxiety. The basic philosophy behind mindfulness meditation is actually very simple- get out of your own head, and be mindful of the present. Anxiety manifests from worry, conscious or subconscious, worry about the future or about the past, worry about things that are out of your control, etc. etc. Meditation is all about taking some time to slow down, view your worries and feelings dispassionately, and live in this moment. One quote really stuck with me from '10% Happier', the book I referenced in an earlier post (And again, highly highly recommended if you're interested in this)- 'You are not your thoughts'. I've found it really helpful to tell myself this whenever things threaten to overwhelm me. Whatever you're anxious about, that anxiety exists only in your mind and doesn't reflect reality, and if you can just sit and 'be' in the present moment, experiencing it exactly as it is without all the baggage you're carrying around in your head, those worries begin to seem less daunting than before. Of course this is my own personal experience, some people may find it to be less effective, but it's really helped me. I've been doing it 30 minutes a day, 10 minutes in the morning and 20 in the evening, and while it can still be very difficult to keep my mind from wandering (It takes work, especially for someone with anxiety whose mind is prone to racing- it's often described as a workout for your mind the same as running or lifting weights is a workout for your body), I really think meditation has been one of the most positive changes I've made, and something I'll continue to do for the rest of my life.

Anyway, enough rambling, I hope all this will be helpful to someone. There's still a ways to go until I'm back to 100 percent, but hopefully my next post will find me feeling better and continuing on this upward trajectory. I'm feeling hopeful. Thanks guys!

Hey guys. At the end of this week, I'll have been on venlafaxine XR 75mg for a month, and I feel confident at this point saying it was a really, really good decision. I can't overstate just how low I was feeling at the beginning of the month- I was completely overcome with anxiety and depression from the moment I woke up to the moment I went to sleep, and it was hard to imagine ever feeling better again. Now three and a half weeks later, I'm finally feeling normal again. My mind isn't racing, the intrusive thoughts aren't haunting me anymore, and the depression has lifted. I'm not attributing my recovery completely to the drug- I've been staying consistent with the lifestyle changes I mentioned in earlier posts- but I'm sure that the medication is a big part of it. I know that taking meds like this can be scary for a lot of people and that they don't work this well for everyone, but if you're really struggling then I would say you owe it to yourself to at least give ven a try, as I feel it has completely turned my life around. And if you do try it, stick with it for at least a month, as like most SSRIs it can actually make symptoms worse before they get better, and I feel like a lot of people jump ship too early. I know I was very nervous when starting this medication since it has such a reputation for side effects. Fortunately I've experienced very little in the way of side effects personally, some headaches and general malaise within the first couple weeks but it has leveled off and I feel great, though I imagine the side effects get more pronounced at higher doses. I'm very happy to be able to count myself as a success story, and I hope my success is encouraging to some of you out there who are struggling like I was or trying to decide whether to take this medication.

This seems like a good spot to end this little journal for the time being. I still plan to check in on this thread every few months to update about how the medicine is working for me long term, and if anybody has any questions or anything feel free to ask! Writing this all down has been really helpful for me, and I hope that reading it can be helpful to someone out there too. Thanks guys!

Hey folks. So, it turns out I spoke too soon.

I was debating whether or not I even wanted to post here again, since I don't want to discourage anyone from trying the drug as it has helped thousands of people, but in my case it didn't end up working out after all. Shortly after I made that last post, I started to feel down again, and started noticing a lot of uncomfortable side effects like headaches and body tingling. Apparently this is a fairly common occurrence with venlafaxine that I didn't really know about- a lot of people feel better a few weeks into treatment then start feeling worse again. Another thing that happened shortly after that post was that I actually managed to get seen by a psychiatrist, who posed the possibility that my attack was brought on less because the citalopram had stopped working for me and more because of the combination of bad decisions I had made in the preceding days at the music festival I'd gone to, namely the combination of alcohol, drugs, and forgetting to take the pill. Which seems like a fairly obvious conclusion in retrospect, and one that I'd considered before, but I guess I hadn't really believed it. I'd be lying if I didn't say that another deciding factor for me in stopping the venlafaxine was a fear of withdrawal and side effects. Some people have a really hard time with them, and as I was noticing side effects after taking just 75mg, I decided I didn't want to try increasing it. I know that ven has worked very well for many years for many people, but one thread in particular really stuck in my mind, where people were talking about cognitive issues they'd developed after being on venlafaxine long-term. I don't know how much of that is just people being biased and/or blaming the medicine for something unrelated, but it kinda freaked me out. The last deciding factor was the simple fact that citalopram had worked so well for me for years, and I started to feel like I hadn't given it enough of a chance to kick back in before I switched medications.

So ultimately, I'm switching back to citalopram 20mg (tapering back on now), going to try and stick with that for a few months and see how I feel, and I'll try increasing if necessary. I'm hoping that with the exercise, meditation, diet, and now therapy (all of which I'm keeping up with) one day I'll be able to be off SSRIs completely, but I'm not going to rush it since it's obvious that I still need them. I'm sorry if this is discouraging to anyone, I would still recommend giving venlafaxine a try if you think it might work for you, I just ended up deciding it wasn't for me.

Thread Information