Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: worried about schizophrenia

Re: worried about schizophrenia

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    As was said, it's could be intrusive thoughts which are pretty common with anxiety disorders. You're not the first one to post this fear and to my knowledge, none of the others ever went full blown psychosis.

Perhaps finding a therapist to help you would be prudent.

Positive thoughts
    isnt intrusive thoughts more of an obsession thought?

Intrusive thoughts can lead to obsessions, yes. That’s what happens in OCD. BTW, schizophrenia is a very, very common OCD intrusive thought.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Intrusive thoughts can lead to obsessions, yes. That’s what happens in OCD. BTW, schizophrenia is a very, very common OCD intrusive thought.
    Yeah well, i get random thoughts in form of 'voices' that i cant control...
    Doesnt this sound fkn crazy haha :(

Time to get some help. Therapy?

Quote Originally Posted by dondee View Post
    i get random thoughts popping up in my head, it's most noticable when im not focusing my mind on anything special, for example when im trying to sleep.

The thoughts can be either in my own voice, in a friend's voice, or even in a completly random voice.

Its most often very random stuffs that pops up, for example '' yes i will buy that shoe '' when im not thinking about anything related to shoes.

I read that schizophrenics have internal voices, which scares me alooot....
    Im afraid im developing schizophrenia, that im in the ''prepsychosis phase''.

I've been to a psychologist who doesnt belivie im developing schizophrenia, but that still doesnt calm me down..

anyone who got any ideas about this case?
    ( im also 22 years old, which is a normal age for schizo :( )
    sorry if my english is bad !
    They are called Mind Pops. They can have very subtle triggers e.g. something your subconscious sees when reading something in a book like a word that links back to a memory. Or a smell. You could be walking around a supermarket and your mind goes "buy milk!!!" but really you may have seen something that triggers your memory to do something you needed to do anyway. But in the anxious who worry about losing control of their minds, they start to worry about why these thoughts come. Your mind isn't something you control, only the conscious side, try to accept that.

Intrusive thoughts by their nature are scary thoughts. Mind Pops are the more random non scary things. And all people have them because it's how the human brain works.

As for voices. There are lots of reasons we can experience voices and not just schizophrenia. For instance, it's common in the bereaved. But what I found was ecaxtly what you are describing - my internal thoughts sounded louder and had voices of me or others. But see below about why this is becoming more apparant right now for you. Audible voices i.e. auditory hallucinations are a different matter (Vee will understand more about this than I do)

If you read about them, yes you will see schizophrenia mentioned, but that is because in them these MP's can lead to hallucinations. Remember - your have had a trained professional rule out schizophrenia.

Anxiety causes us two problems here.

1) we start becoming more attuned to our bodies and our minds. Thoughts seem busy buzzing around. You've found this as you notice it when trying to sleep.

2) the mind gets busier. Racing thoughts are common in anxiety.

Work on reducing your anxiety and it will help. Work on calming your mind e.g. mindfulness is excellent for this but takes time to learn as it's a skill rather than a technique. Grounding techniques may also help refocus your mind and they are much quicker & easier to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    They are called Mind Pops. They can have very subtle triggers e.g. something your subconscious sees when reading something in a book like a word that links back to a memory. Or a smell. You could be walking around a supermarket and your mind goes "buy milk!!!" but really you may have seen something that triggers your memory to do something you needed to do anyway. But in the anxious who worry about losing control of their minds, they start to worry about why these thoughts come. Your mind isn't something you control, only the conscious side, try to accept that.

Intrusive thoughts by their nature are scary thoughts. Mind Pops are the more random non scary things. And all people have them because it's how the human brain works.

As for voices. There are lots of reasons we can experience voices and not just schizophrenia. For instance, it's common in the bereaved. But what I found was ecaxtly what you are describing - my internal thoughts sounded louder and had voices of me or others. But see below about why this is becoming more apparant right now for you. Audible voices i.e. auditory hallucinations are a different matter (Vee will understand more about this than I do)

If you read about them, yes you will see schizophrenia mentioned, but that is because in them these MP's can lead to hallucinations. Remember - your have had a trained professional rule out schizophrenia.

1) we start becoming more attuned to our bodies and our minds. Thoughts seem busy buzzing around. You've found this as you notice it when trying to sleep.

Work on reducing your anxiety and it will help. Work on calming your mind e.g. mindfulness is excellent for this but takes time to learn as it's a skill rather than a technique. Grounding techniques may also help refocus your mind and they are much quicker & easier to learn.
    Thanks for your answer!
    So you mean this is not considered hearing voices? Its just ''mind pops'' ?
    Do you know if its a normal thing? And whats the difference between this and internal voices, any idea?

---------- Post added at 11:52 ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Time to get some help. Therapy?

You mean for my anxiety, or cuz of a possiblity that im schizo? haha

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post

Do you get this often aswell?
    Do you think i can rule out schizo? bah, so fuking worried.. sorry for spamming haha.

Do you get this often aswell?
    Do you think i can rule out schizo? bah, so fuking worried.. sorry for spamming haha.
    Don't worry, no one will think you are spamming.

I think I would listen to a highly qualified psychologist trained to spot schizophrenia. I would also trust Vee who understands it well from personal experience. And I trust my own knowledge of a common theme of OCD that's even been termed "Schiz OCD" because it's so common in OCD circles.

I get random thoughts. I get thoughts in my voice, loved ones voices, other people off TV, etc. The thing is, the mind doesn't just provide thoughts in a robotic voice, it is going to use how it makes associations to add such a voice (in my opinion, I've never delved that far). That's what I find for many of my random thoughts anyway.

For instance, I may hear a saying from a comedy show in the voice of the actor. Isn't it only like how when we heard music in our minds we hear it in the singers voice? Or even when we sing we can hear it internally as the singer?

More recent findings have shown how the mind is much busier than they thought. It's an area of research.

---------- Post added at 03:01 ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 ----------

Thanks for your answer!
    So you mean this is not considered hearing voices? Its just ''mind pops'' ?
    Do you know if its a normal thing? And whats the difference between this and internal voices, any idea?
    Mind pops are completely normal, it's how the brain works. We don't control our subconscious thoughts or generate every thoughts we have consciously.

This is an excellent place to read about hearing voices:

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-...earing-voices/

I have no experience of hearing actual voices in the way someone with schizophrenia does but in terms of my anxiety & intrusive thoughts they are clearly not the same as hearing someone's voice if you pay attention to both. The anxious mind tries to make you think they are, but as anxiety decreases this all fades just as any symptom focus does.

Help for your anxiety. . You’re not schizo.

The EXACT same thing has been happening to me since summer, sometimes it's just random words/sentences that just pop up, and other times it's something related to what I'm doing.
    In the beginning I was worried about it but now honestly I just think it's racing thoughts and most likely was always there but we are just focusing on it now .

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information