Thread: clomipramine and drinking.. PLEASE REPLY!!

clomipramine and drinking.. PLEASE REPLY!!

hi, please can someone tell me if you can drink while taking this medication... been a mess for a good year and a half now and decided to start on some medication but what with christmas this week not sure if i want to start now or after... scared of side effects too as i want to TRY and have a good week with the family...

thanks in advance

darcy xxx

Re: clomipramine and drinking.. PLEASE REPLY!!

I advise against drinking at all, Drinking only makes your symptoms worse weather you are on medication or not.
    It makes anxiety/depression/panic attacks worse and can even start them off.
    If you realy dont need to drink stay away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by darcy View Post
    hi, please can someone tell me if you can drink while taking this medication... been a mess for a good year and a half now and decided to start on some medication but what with christmas this week not sure if i want to start now or after... scared of side effects too as i want to TRY and have a good week with the family...

thanks in advance

darcy xxx
    Hi Darcy,

Regarding the side effects, well if you start taking them today, you'll only be on day four by xmas day and if i'm honest, most med's can make us feel worse before we start to feel any better, our bodies need to adjust. Some medications can take up to six weeks for all side effects to subside.

Drinking alcohol - Well,.. I certainly wouldn't advise you to drink any alcohol if you're just starting your medication, I can imagine this will probably make you feel pretty sick.

I guess the choice is yours whether or not you want to begin taking the meds before xmas or afterwards,.. I doubt this'll make much difference to you, only of course i'm sure you're aware of how drinking can make us feel, whilst suffering with anxiety/panic, I guess only you can decide on that and make your own judgement.

Whatever you decide, have a good one and hope you feel better soon.

darcy,
    i started on this med a few months ago,took it for 3 days then i was meant to double my dose on day 4,by then it was sat -i had a few beers-maybes 6 cans of stella i think,and i felt pretty rough,like i had taken double that amount.so i would advise that you dont drink on this till your body is used to it.wait till jan when all the temptation to drink is out the way and see how you go on the med.

i never really gave it long enough to get in my system as i stopped and started,but i plan to retry with a zero alcohol consumption in the new year.

we all know that hangovers and anxiety conditions dont mix but i think sometimes we just want our minds to be in a different place now n then.
    and alcohol gives us a sense of "hey lifes not to bad for these few hours while were pished"..obviously you have to plan it and make sure next day is written off

anyways hope the med works for you and good luck
    pete

Thread Information