Thread: Old Chestnut of Alcohol & Meds

Old Chestnut of Alcohol & Meds

I know this has been discussed before in threads further down the line but as there are new faces around including myself I wanted to seek your views and experiences on mixing alcohol and Citalopram(in particular)
    For my own part as I have become more confident and hopeful of recovery I have ventured into a night out on four occasions now. Each time I consumed five pints throughout the evening with no ill effects during the evening itself. Also, whilst a little weary the next day I still didn't receive any payback of any kind but oh, the following day and running into a couple of days thereafter I get the feeling my body is having to re-adjust in order to get back to its 'repairing' state and my anxiety levels go through the roof. I have coped with this now that I know the consequences and truthfully do not want to stop drinking altogether but I am now seriously wondering iof it is worth it!
    How do any of you guys measure up against the drink?

All the best

(roy)

There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.

Re: Old Chestnut of Alcohol & Meds

Hi Roy,

I thought I'd be able to manage with drinking now and again while on citalopram but I just can't do it. It sets me back to stage 1 again and the hurdle is just too great.

Drinking used to play a big part in my social life and before starting on this medication I couldn't imagine stopping but it's actually been pretty easy. I'm able to be open with friends as to why I'm not drinking and they're really understanding. Stopping has also made me wonder how much of my anxiety was down to alcohol in the first place.

The official line is that drinking in moderation while taking citalopram is OK, but my experience says otherwise.

Good luck,

Will

I definitely agree with Will. I don't drink at all even though I've been off meds for three years plus. Alcohol definitely causes anxiety in a person who is prone to anx. I can't express how much cutting out alcohol changed my life. It allowed the meds I was on to work effectively and reduced the panicky feelings that I had before and after going on meds. Alocohol plays havoc with your blood sugar levels etc and can make you shakey, and on edge the following day. I used to get like that on just average nights out. Everyone's different though but basically I've decided me and booze just don't mix.

I often drank whilst on citalopram. The thing i noticed was the increased paranoia the morning after. Anyone else?Xx

Thread Information