Thread: Agoraphobia - Any advice would be appreciated.

Agoraphobia - Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi I've just joined no more panic today. I have lived with anxiety & panic for 20 years but at the moment I am really struggling and I would welcome any help or advice anyone can offer me. Ive recently seperated from my husband and moved from my home of 25 years which I didn't want to do. I've been here for 3 months now and every day is getting harder. I'm not sleeping, having panic attacks several times a day and going out is becoming a big issue. Several years ago I was housebound due to agoraphobia and I'm terrified I'm heading that way again. My daughter is living with me at the moment but since we left home my son will not speak or see either of us and I miss him and my baby granddaughter so much. Everything seems overwhelming at the moment and I would love to hear from anyone who can offer me any help.

Hi Joolie

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Re: Agoraphobia - Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi Joolie,

I joined this site about a month ago and everyone here seems really friendly and helpful, and I'm sure you'll find the same too.

Regarding the agoraphobia, I'm also suffering from it and am also keen to hear suggestions.. One thing I do know is that it's very easy to be hard on ourselves for 'not getting out and about' and doing normal tasks.. and this is the last thing we need to do! We need to be kind to ourselves

Oh and welcome,
    Simon

"What you resist, persists." - C. G. Jung

I go through periods of suffering from Agoraphobia, when I don't even open the curtains. I force myself outside, even though I will have a panic attack before the end of the street, walk around the block and back, or to the local shop if I am feeling brave, this also brings on the Social Anxiety, but I persevere.
    Speak to your daughter and plan to do a small trip away from the house.
    If you have a garden, go dig up some weeds or cut the grass, anything to give you a little more confidence.

BobbyDog

Hi Joolie &

Wow, lots going on in your life at the moment, no wonder you feel so bad. Everyone here is friendly & supportive so please take some comfort from knowing you are not alone.

I am also an anx/panic/agoraphobia sufferer, having CBT at the moment and making a 'little' progress, but it's a rocky road ahead and as MrRedShirt says we are often guilty of being too hard on ourselves.

Take care,
    Kitti

Hi joolie

You sound like you've been through so much recently its no wonder you're feeling overwhelmed by it all. I think the thing is 'to tread water' for now...I mean don't push yourself too hard. Like Bobbydog says perhaps start off with something like the gardening so you are at least out in the fresh air (plus your garden will look great). If you don't have a garden perhaps a window box. Try and do things which make yourself feel good. What did you enjoy before your recent upheaval - hobbies? I am agoraphobic and you do have to push yourself to go out eventually so you don't lose your ground or make it any worse, but maybe start with a walk to the shops (if you can already achieve that) or a walk in the park with your daughter, little achievements may help you feel better. I wish you well....

little wren x

Thank you so much to everyone who has taken the time to reply and for all the suggestions. It's really helpful to know other people understand how I'm feeling at the moment and I'm going to try harder to be kinder to myself and make a plan of action to go out a short time everyday. I've been able to read some interesting articles on this web site and am hoping to use the chat room when I am able.

Thank you

Joolie

Thread Information