Thread: Head rushes & dizziness

Head rushes & dizziness

Hi there.

First of all, I think this might be a bit of a long post so sorry for rambling.

Since finishing uni almost six weeks ago I've been experiencing weird sorts of feelings that I'm praying are down to anxiety, I'm desperately trying to keep a logical head on my shoulders and not convince myself that I have a brain tumor or am about to have a stroke.

I have been working 110% through the year on my degree and it has paid off as I've come out with fantastic grades and have loved every minute of last academic year but I find it almost impossible to switch off. I had a really chronic speight of health anxiety about 18 months ago and it almost drove ,e to a breakdown. Luckily I managed to avoid that outcome and I truly believe that starting my degree was a wonderful thing as just about all of my attention was devoted to it and in some respect, I didnt have time to think about symptoms etc. But, ever since the end of the semester, I have been feeling pretty 'woosy'; sort of light headed, tired most of the time and what I can only describe as head rushes. It even happens when I go to bed which can be extremely scary. My wife says that she thinks it is at worst, vertigo and at best, anxiety.

But I cant get this through my head. I think I'm anxious as stuff is happening in my life that is pretty big right now. We are due to have our first baby at the end of August and to be honest with you all, I'm absolutely s**ting myself about what it will mean. This may sound very selfish but the feedback I'm getting in relation to my degree work (Fine Art) is very promising, I feel like I can take my art a very long way indeed. But, I'm terrified that all of my hard work I have put in (and still to put in) might be put in jepordy - many people have said that this might be the case. I've worked so hard and dont want to lose what I have. But on the other hand, I want to be the best father I can be and husband too.

So perhaps I am a little anxious??

Added to this, I have not really stopped working since last semester finished. I've been painting and working in a studio space as well as holding down a part time job. And, without wanting to sound like I'm milking it, I'm running around like a headless chicken trying to keep the house running as my wife is getting pretty big now........

So the head rushes feel like a cross between a buzzing sensation for a few seconds and being stood on a merry go round. They come and go, as does the dizziness by itself - sometimes that comes on when I'm simply sat down which again frightens the socks off me. I keep trying to tell myself that I'm probably just tired and that I need to slow down but its almost like there is some kind of mania that has me in its grip, almost like I cant sit still. I had a really bad flu like cold about two weeks ago that knocked me off my feet and I was in bed for almost two days. Without wanting to sound too gross, I've still got a residual snotty head and I wonder if this too might be contributing to the symptoms?? I'm just terrified that as most of these symptoms seem to be around my head that I might have something dangerously wrong with me.........a tumour, a blockage in my brain that might result in a stroke (dont smoke or drink heavily) and to be honest instead of getting really excited about the birth of our baby, I'm feeling the worry of what will happen in relation to my work (am I being a selfish arse by worrying about that?????) and also freaking out that instead of these symptoms being caused by anxiety, there might be genuinely something wrong with me.......

Re: Head rushes & dizziness

Anyone????????????????????

Hello there
    First of all, and for no particular reason, I would see a doctor to have your BP checked and mention your sensations and your worries. I bet though that it is related to anxiety.
    You say you have had anxiety before so it is almost certainly related to that. I have these funny dizzy sensations and it comes in many guises and at all times. Even lying in bed at night - particularly even moreso when I am tired. it can happen when I am feeling okay, when I am feeling overwhelmed and stressed or when I am talking. Hyperventilation can be a cause (you will probably not know if you are doing this).
    I have had many tests and gone down all routes of worry - stroke / MS / tumour. You sound like me in the way you think about things and it seems the way you think about life can be the cause of very distressing physical symptoms.
    You sound like you have a lot on - baby coming, degree work. I notice that every time you mention something good (and it sounds like you have lots of good stuff) you knock it back with a negative. Please try to dismiss negative thoughts and work your way to breaking the negative thoughts leading to horrible physical symptoms and you will feel better.
    How did your health anxiety go away last time? did you have CBT? Or medication? I have had to go back on medication after a relapse straight after stopping my tablets, so I have very reluctantly starting taking them again. That has not been nice but I am starting to feel the benefit again and trying to work really hard on my thoughts and beliefs about what is going on with me and my life.
    Best of luck - try not to worry. Loads of people on this website have your symptoms and all the ones I have read about have had a clean bill of health re anything really nasty and life-threatening like a tumour or stroke.
    bead

Hi,

I also get head rushes and dizzy spells when I am anxious. Its hard to explain the head rushes its like bubbling in my head and ears and i cant hear properly. Its usually at the bottom of my neck and the bottom of my head. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to subside but it does eventually. I just put it down as another anxiety symptom.

TC xxxxxx

Hi Dan

I am having the exact sensation that you described as well. I am so sure it has to do with anxiety. It may be partially allergy related as well, but anxiety is for sure a factor. I also just finished with two years of field work for my degree. I think that often the unknown is more panic ridden for us than the known, even if the known is challenging. Meaning, at first I could not understand how this could be anxiety as I am done with my internships. I was very stressed there, trying to hold everything together. But now I am sitting around doing nothing for the summer. So even though the sitting around should be more relaxing, it is not, because my mind is all over. I am having difficulty finding a job, even if I found one, I cant imagine working right now as I am so anxious. Anyway, my point is, it totally makes sense that your anxiety level would sky rocket, especially with the new baby. A thing to remember about the baby is that they are only little for SUCH a short time. So, even if you are not working to your full potential for the baby's first few years of life, that is okay, and you have the rest of your life. Before you know it that little baby will be in school all day, and then before you know it agian, he/she will be leaving for college! So, just figure out a way to get by for the first few years, and enjoy it... Your career will still happen, you dont have to trade anything in. Anyway-- I really wanted you to know that I am having the same exact symptoms as you... I am also scared it is something terrible, but its just too ironic that us, and everyone here, have the same exact symptoms. Take care.

-- Anonymous

Dan

Have a read through the HEAD posts from this link..

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7784

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Dan

I had the very same symptoms a year ago, having just finished my second year of university. I hated the sensations I felt and they took around 6 months to go. Even now I still get the occasional symptom when I am very tired. I used to feel as if I was standing on a boat at sea. Also at times I would have an overwhelming feeling that I was going to faint (but I never).

I also imagined all sorts of illnesses and I would recommend that you go to your GP to have a check up to put your mind at rest (this is what I did). Try and find time for yourself, to relax, although I can appreciate this won't be easy for you with a new baby on the way.

I think sometimes when you are busy with assignments and revision you cope and it is only when it is over and you have time to reflect that the symptoms hit. I know that certainly has been my experience and concerns me as I enter my final year. I have decided to take each day as it comes.

I am sure when your baby arrives you will be a wonderful dad and enjoy every minute. Please feel free to PM me.

Hi there.

Thanks for the kind words. I cant say that the dizziness is getting much better but then again I do seem to be aware of it much more. It could possibly be that now I have time on my hands I'm concentrating much more on it. I'm still really scared, even though I have had similar anxiety related symptoms before.......

Thread Information