Thread: sore lump behind ear

sore lump behind ear

Hi all,
    sorry to have yet another health worry but I thought I would write it down in the hope it puts me off rushing to the doctors straight away.
    I was so tempted to phone the docs at half 8 this morning to get into see someone but thought as calmly as I could that I maybe need to wait a day or so.
    anyway. I woke up this morning and I have a sore little lump right behin my left ear. It is right behind the lobe on the crease between ear and neck as close to the ear as possible (dont know if that makes sense ) It feels the same as when you have a painful spot but I have looked with the aid of several mirrors and its not a spot but more an 'area' i cant determind whether it on the skin or a bit more internal ie the actual bone behind my ear.
    I have gone through the list I doubt its cancer, it could just be a spot or it could be an ear infection? When I think ear infection I'm thinking it will be swollen to the size of an apple by this time tomorrow, it will then lead to blood poisoning, i will then either be dead or have to have my ear cut off.
    Somedays my health worries can drive me insane :( I dont want to go to the doctors at the first sign of pain cos it might be just a spot but then if I leave it I worry myself stupid. I cant win.
    sorry for going on, just had to get this off my chest.
    lucy x

Lucy

Could it be something like a small cyst coming up? If it is no better in a couple of days I would get the doc to take a look as it could be something simple like that.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

I had this about 6 months ago and it turned out to be a huge nasty blind spot [:I]

Give it a few days and see what happens..

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

Lucy,

Well done for being mostly rational and logical about this.

Thats a great step forwards.

I agree with you about the cancer, if it were an ear infection, it would be need to be inside the ear to cause trouble so right now it looks like its just a spot of some sort.

Of course monitor it and the option of the doctors will still be there tomorrow or he day after if needs be . or it may fade away to nothing.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

I get these alot in the crease of my ear and I have also had them in my earlobe itself. There are a little painful but if you don't mess with it too much(that's a challenge in itself) and keep the area clean and I have put triple antibiotic on the ones in the crease of my ear it will go away in about a week. It is most likely a pore back there that has gotten clogged.

Sandy
    (eeyorelover)

If the world didn't suck... we'd all fall off

I had one of those! I think there is actually a lymph node back there or something. I had it in college & it freaked me out so much that I tried to lance it... thankfully not with success. My advice is to leave it alone. It will go away faster if you don't mess with it. Mine came and went a number of times, but it's been gone for 15 years at least now.

You have a lymph node just under each ear lobe that is hard to the touch.

I also get blind spots behind my ears and they can be wicked painful until they go down - usually 2 or 3 days.

Jem27 Guest
    Sounds like a lymph gland to me, I get the all the time behind my ears. Don't worry it should go down in a day or so, if not pop to your GP to put your mind at rest.

If you had an ear infection you would know about it honestly. I have had ear pains for 2 weeks and raised glands and ive not been the drs (achievement for me) but im going today for some more iron so will mention it. I am still here, just

Thread Information