Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Testicular Cancer

Testicular Cancer

Hi This is one for the men really but if women have any help it would be good to hear your thoughts..

Its a man thing..

Why are we so embarrased at going to the doctors??

Can you help me??

I am 26 and since when i first checked my testicles at i think 14, i found my right testicle was slightly diffrent than my left it had a small hard lump at the end which my left one didn't... This scared the hell out of me, i have thought about it everyday for the last 12 years but to embarrased to go to the docs..

Nothings changed regarding the small lump it hasn't got bigger or changed at all..

Surely after 12 years if it was cancer i would of knew about it by now or would i ????

The reason i brought this up is i have started CBT therapy and my therapist is an attractive young women and she asked me to look into my past and think of things that could of contributed to my anxiety, which that certainly has done but i am to emabarrased to say it to her..

I have an appointment with my doctor soon, and i have developed a good relationship with him, i think i could write it down and give him it to read as i would be to embarrased to talk about it out loud, but at least its a start..

Do you think because i have had it for 12 years its nothing to worrie about???

Look forward to your reply's

Cheers

Desprate Dan

Re: Testicular Cancer

Dan chap

When I was 30, I found a lump on one testicle, at the time I was already anxious about other stuff and this didn't help.

I eventually went to the docs, and it ended up being a very common cyst, totally benign and harmless.

Now that's the short version. In more detail, I went to the docs, he fumbled around a bit and said "hmmm, pretty sure it's nothing but we will get you checked out at the hospital".

4 long damn weeks I waited, then went for my appointment. I was asked initially by the consultant if I "didn't mind" if student doctors sat in on the examination before the ultrasound thingy. I was so stressed I just said "yer whatever doc" all I wanted was to get the hell out of there.

Well there I was, laying on the bed in this room, naked from the waist down, and the consultant walked in, then 2 young guys. No worry's I thought, just see it as three opinions, but then, another 5 walked in, all young female trainee's.

All I could say was, "hey, I hope you lot don't drink in my (home town)".

Anyway, I survived (the embarresment) but the moral of the story is, most lumps are harmless

12 years ? I am sure you are fine, but wouldn't hurt to go to the GP for a check to rest your mind.

And if he asks if student doctors can sit in? well that's up to you

TC

Jaco

Dan

Reckon you'd have had more symptoms by now. 12 years is a long enough time for something like cancer to have had much more effect. Get it off your chest at the doc's and he'll put your mind at rest. There's all sorts of reasons for lumps and stuff down there and most of 'em are harmless.

Let us know how it goes

Cheers lads..
    Jaco45er bloomin eck i would of been so embarrased and probably died there and then just imagine what if the little man wanted to show himself off to the female's...ooohhh my god the thought of it..

Yes i have had it for 12 years at least so hoping its nothing serious, but i finally think i need peace of mind to move on and get over this anxiety and believe getting things off my chest will help me recover..

Thanks Lads

Danny

I have made my mind up i am going to mention the lump to the doctor at my appointment on monday..

Tried googling it (i know i shouldn't have) but couldn't find anything about length of time before you would feel seriously ill..

Did find one site that wanted to charge me £28 to tell me what they thought...

There must be someone out there who knows a thing or two about this and if after having it for 12 years without change... would or should i still be here???

Sorry i guess i am just looking for a bit of reasurance to get me through the weekend before i speak to my Doc, which i am not looking forward to him feeling my undercarridge...

But hey if it helps me progress and take away the daily thoughts that i have carried on my shoulders for so many years i think it needs to be addressed..

Thanks

Dan

£28 ? What a rip off I only charge £20.

Do it mate, ask the doc, just think of all that relief off your shoulders when he tells you you are fine

GL

Jaco

Girls point of view here - as embarrassing as it may seem, your Dr has heard it all and WILL put you mind at ease when talking about it. They are trained to do so! And once you speak up it will NOT be that bad. The worst part is thinking about it before hand. As for the lump, I doubt it is anything serious....even us girls get lumps and bumps down in that area - usually just a cyst. Or a fatty deposit that you were born with. Totally normal!

When I did work experience at a hospital, I shadowed a nurse - followed her round and helped a bit. She had to dress etc a couple of men. One got an erection (and he wasn't even fully conscious)..and it was no big deal at all, either to me (the sixteen year old) or to her (fortysomething experienced nurse).

This may just be me though..I have no issues RE bodies, I've done nude modelling for an art class and loved it.

They've seen it all!

Oh and therapists...they are trained to deal with everything from hearing confessions of murder to their clients falling in love with them, stalking them, etc. They are essentially unshockable, and will also have a supervisor they see weekly/fortnightly to discuss any issues with...testicles will be nothing to her!

Hi Dan....
    I have had a few scares about this believe me!

I decided to be completely up-front about it and let the NHS do thier thing.....which they did.....probes , ultrasound and fingers everywhere!!!

Testicular cancer is relatively rare and (apparently) easy to spot if that is any consolation?

I turned out to have epydydimylitis (inflamation of the little little tubes that surround the testes)..............incururable but not life-threatening.

Bottom line being.......I trusted the NHS to do their job-and they did the bizz.

hope this helps?

f

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information