Thread: Exercise became impossible for me...

Exercise became impossible for me...

Hi,

For years I am suffering from anxiety about my heart. In the past, I have played tennis extensively for hours on end so most probably, there is nothing wrong with my heart.

But after 'it' hit me, I am unable do so anymore. Whenever I get my heart rate up I get very tensed, I constantly feel the sensation of my heart pumping hard and get nervous feelings in my stomach, etc. And of course, racing thoughts that my heart might stop any moment or that I might disturb the rhythm with my paranoid thoughts.

I seem to have some kind of treshold though. If my heart rate stays under 100-120 bpm, I feel okay. Higher than that I and I start to feel very shitty. I really do think it's only my anxiety. But I can't seem to get over it.

I've started working out and slowly exercising again to push myself slowly to my limits again. But everytime I am determined to do so, I chicken out after my heart beats really fast again (120+ bpm).

What makes matters worse is that I had some episodes of (benign) heart rate disturbances in the beginning of this year. They have been checked out with an event monitor and ECG's and were diagnosed as episodes of PAC's (premature ventricular contractions). It does not make things easier for me as you can imagine.

So, I have two questions to you guys.

- Is it possible to have structural heart problems which only manifest themselves while having a (sustained) high heart rate? So, does the fact that I can have a heart rate up to 120 bpm without problems indictate that I will have no problems once I go up higher to 160 bpm for instance? (which I didn't do for at least 2 years)
    - Do you have any similar experience or advice about how to go from here? What has helped for you?

I know I am not the only one with heart anxiety and I wonder what has helped you and if there is a way out of here

Thanks!

Re: Exercise became impossible for me...

Have you gotten advice to limit exercise? Exercise is good for you, and your heart, unless medically indicated. If your doctor did not tell you to limit exercise, then your heart rate is just your anxiety telling you to start worrying when you get to, say, 125. Which if course leads to scary symptoms that seem heart related. Stop with the bpm. Don't even look at it. Just exercise for a little longer each day. Cover machines with a towel and do not wear monitors. You don't need to watch numbers.

I have heart disease. Two heart attacks, bypass and stents. I can safely exceed 125bpm and have during stress tests and exercise. If I can do it with actual heart disease and taking several heart medications daily, you can do it being perfectly healthy.

The way out if treating the real issue... anxiety. The issue is not your heart, it's you mind telling you it's your heart.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks gentlemen. Deep down inside I know you are right.
    I want to be 100% sure that I don't have a problem, but without having a million tests done to me and that is simply impossible.

And probably, the only reason why I feel not too great when my heart rate gets high is because my anxiety in my subconsiousness is causing the symptoms, not the bad heart.

Thread Information