Thread: Planning to go off the meds

Planning to go off the meds

Hi all, I would like to stop with the meds in the next couple of weeks. I have a doctor's appointment on Friday, and I hope to discuss it with her but I'd like to hear from fellow anxiety sufferers first.

Are there any success stories of coming off the meds altogether, and just relying on what you learned at theraphy?

Few words about my situation: I am taking escitalopram since April 2017. After a rough start (3-4 weeks of bad side effects) it kicked in and helped me to get through my nervous breakdown. I feel better now, but I dont want to make a mistake by stopping the meds too early.

Sent from my SM-G800H using Tapatalk

Re: Planning to go off the meds

So everybody's experience is different. Here's mine:

I first went on lexapro in 2012. My ideal dose is 20 mg. I was on for about a year and a half before I weaned off. After about 6 months my anxiety was back where it started. I did therapy in conjunction the whole time.

I went back on in 2014 and stayed on until Nov 2016. I only stopped this time because we were trying to get pregnant. I'm pregnant now and emotionally had a break-down, so I'm back on it again. Also in therapy again.

I mean it's really up to you and your doctor. I feel like you haven't been on it very long, but everybody is different. For me, I would have just stayed on if I wasn't trying to get pregnant and now I wish I never stopped!

swgrl09 thanks for sharing your story. The reason I want to get off the meds is also the fact that we are trying to get pregnant.
    I don't have much hope to be honest, and our inability to conceive naturally is one of the reasons why I'm feeling anxious.

What did your doctor say about you going back on meds while pregnant?

My doctor said it was honestly up to me. I had four doctors tell me that I could continue taking the lexapro during pregnancy, but I was stubborn and wanted to try it without. I ended up back on during my second trimester. They told me the only thing that sometimes happens is the baby might be fussy the first couple days but that was it and she'd improve.

It was a hard decision though! I felt badly going back on, but my own health was just as important for her and I was having horrible panic attacks, depression, anxiety, not sleeping or eating. So I think I made the right choice going back on.

I was told by the fertility doc that I can continue with the meds if I need them too. I still would like to be meds free at some point in my life, and although I have some minor anxiety I feel much better, and I would like to see if I can cope without chemical support.

Thread Information