Thread: Switched Celexa To Lexapro

Switched Celexa To Lexapro

Hi All,

So I was on 20mg of Celexa, which I started in March of 2016. This was my third time on Celexa, but I felt like it was not working well.

I have now switched to Lexapro. I am on Day 11 and struggling a bit. Has anyone done the switch from Celexa to Lexapro.

I just stopped the celexa and started the lexapro the next day. Am I going to get withdraw/start up side effects? I feel an increase in anxiety and moods are up and down. I just want to feel normal. I am so sick of this.

Just need some hope here

Re: Switched Celexa To Lexapro

Quote Originally Posted by Victory2016 View Post
    I just stopped the celexa and started the lexapro the next day. Am I going to get withdraw/start up side effects?
    No, because they are pretty much the same med. Lexapro was mostly developed as a marketing exercise to extend the patent of the Celexa drug.

Celexa (citalopram) is made up of two isomers, the 'S' form which is the active component, and a 'R' mirror image form which is a poorer fit biologically and so is mostly inactive. Lexapro (escitalopram) is more refined and only contains the 'S' isomer.

The slight differences in the formulation may cause subtle variations in side-effects so switching may help if there are issues, but if one is ineffective then the other is very unlikely to be any better. I think you're wasting your time.

Hi,
    I'm wondering how you are feeling on the Lexepro? I'm currently on Celexa and so far its not doing much.

Any updates as to how you are doing on the Lexapro? I'm taking Celexa (I don't feel it's doing much), so the doctor added another old med called Nortriptyline. I'm thinking of switching to Lexepro

Thread Information