Thread: Magnesium supplement and nausea

Magnesium supplement and nausea

I got Natural Calm Plus Calcium. It says it has 170 mg of magnesium. I took it about a half hour ago and right now i am feeling soooo nauseous. Its really upsetting me.

Anyone else feel this with magnesium?

Re: Magnesium supplement and nausea

What does it say about the form of magnesium on the box? What form is it? I noticed that this brand use a blend that turns into an ionic form but I don't know if thats the exact product you are using as the magnesium dosage differs.

Ah sorry, I guess I was so anxious earlier I didn't see that the packet actually said 179mg magnesium, not 170mg. It says 179mg magnesium, elemental from magnesium citrate.

Thats ok, the one I found was a higher dose than both of those so I was thinking it might be a more expensive one or newer product than you were using.

Does it mention anything about turning into a ionic form or magnesium gluconate? Or does it just state citrate?

Citrate is for constipation so above a certain dosage its going to have some effects on your bowels. I think it above 300mg for that but I can't remember without checking. However, with our various issues with digestion I guess it could affect us more.

If it is the citrate, you would need to try a different form to avoid problems. They do have a gluconate form which says it turns to ionic citrate. Ionic is Angstrom level, which is a unit of measurement for something so small that it can penetrate cells more directly. This might mean it does not need the digestion phase. If it is liquid form, ionic can be absorbed without reaching the gut but I don't know its mechanism to bypass that so you would need to do some research via Google. There are sellers on there for Angstrom magnesium so their websites will likely explain how it works. IF this gluconate forms bypasses digestion somehow when it turns to ionic citrate, it may be an alternate as it shouldn't cause the same issues that citrate is well known for. Its possible the gluconate is the form it is supplied in but it turns to ionic by interacting with your acid or maybe certain enzymes but I've never come across it until now so haven't researched this form.

It does have calcium Gluconate, but it looks like the magnesium comes from a "proprietary blend of citric acid and magnesium carbonate which in combination with water creates ionic magnesium citrate."

I guess that's the issue, but this definitely soured me magnesium.

Ah, thats the one I saw.

So, they provide it in a certain form that will hit the water in your stomach and turn into ionic citrate. If it is a capsule or enteric coated pill form, that should be the case but if its a liquid you take then it will start doing that in your mouth too and as I understand it rom reading about Angstrom sized magnesium it can be absorbed without the digestion process when in your mouth.

So, are the pills/capsules or a liquid?

---------- Post added at 05:23 ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 ----------

Just seen it is a powder form that you stir into a drink to take so it will be citrate at that point. The important thing to remember is that an ionic form will be more bioavailable so you are going to digest it much easier than the non ionic forms which will be turned into an ionic form in your stomach hence rely on stomach acid levels.

I'm not sure about absorption pre GI tract, I thought I had read that somewhere but I could be wrong.

What it could be is due to the higher bioavailability, it is too concentrated in one sitting. How about reducing the amount you drink in one go and see if spreading it out helps?

Citrate is for constipation though so if you go into that zone where it will work on your bowels, you will get the loose movements as thats what its for.

Thread Information