Thread: Mood swings

Mood swings

I've always had problems with depression. When I was about 16+ my mood would go up and down like a yo-yo. I was put on anti-depressants (I'm still on anti-depressants) which really calmed the whole situation down. I would still get "bad days" but it was nothing I couldn't handle.

The mood swings are coming back. Just this morning I was crying for no reason, felt completely hopeless and the lowest I have felt in so long. Now I feel completely fine :/ If anything I feel content and positive right now.

I've never felt "manic" I sometimes feel a little hyper but I wouldn't call it mania. So I don't think this would be considered bi-polar.

I don't really get angry or anything, just depressed then happy.

I just don't get how somebody's mood can change so rapidly :| in the space of a few hours. It's quite concerning.

It's not P.M.S. or anything and I don't have a clue if anything triggers these mood swings or not.

I think I'm going to have to tell my GP :/ Would he recommend different anti-depressants or what?
    Last edited by Conspiracy; 06-07-15 at 11:02.

Re: Mood swings

Its worth speaking to your GP. What did he/she diagnose you with before?

I thought I might be bipolar a while back so I started looking into it and decided I wasn't due to the lack of real mania. There are 2 types of bipolar though, one is the one we always see portrayed in the media and the other is a less intense version that we never seem to here about. However, when I have more recently checked the WHO ICD-10, the diagnostic manual used in the UK, there are 10 classifications for it.

There are also similiar mood disorders that are classed seperately such as Cyclothymia and Dysthymia, and a whole bunch of depressive episode ones under depression including 7 recurrent depressive disorders. So, you could fall into one of those, maybe?

Depression can also be "Atypical" in which you can react with positivity to normal pleasurable events so your mood lifts. So, your GP may look for something like that too.

Your GP needs to determine what the issue is first. He/she may decide to switch your antidepressants as some are more geared towards certain conditions over others even if they are in the same class of drugs (such as SSRI's).

If your mental health issue are more based on cycling moods than anxiety, maybe you have some form of mood disorder? All the above fit into that category. It might just mean a different strategy to get you better.

I've only been diagnosed with depression and my GP have said I "could well have G.A.D." but I don't know if that would be considered a diagnosis or not. I'm 99% sure I have G.A.D. though.

Didn't realise there were 10 different types :|

At least when I am really depressed I know it doesn't last too long, a couple of days max.

Hope my mood is more stable today >.> I feel alright right now.

I may have to see him :( I hate seeing him >.> I always feel uncomfortable around doctors and I don't know why.

Thanks <3

This might be part of the confusion then because depression is a very broad term. If your pattern is short lived each time then there are forms inside mood disorders that may fit to it that give you a more specific diagnosis. At least then you know what you are up against.

GP's can be a pain like this. I have GAD & OCD but in 4 years my GP still hasn't recognised I have OCD despite my therapist working it out in the first session! My GP always put me down as "chronic anxiety" which just means a longer term anxiety. From a diagnosis point of view, there is no such thing as this as that term could mean GAD, SA, OCD, HA, or any of the other less known anxiety disorders.

The fact he/she said may would suggest they cannot make a diagnosis. There are rules on how to make a diagnosis when there are comorbid disorders in play but a GP probably wouldn't have the knowledge for this unless they have had plenty of experience and learned about it all.

The diagnostic manual is available online if needed. You would have to be careful because of the anxiety issue because there are rules about determining whether anxiety should be a diagnosis over depression and vice versa, but I'm wondering if reading the mood disorders section might throw some light on thse cycles?

Ah, I see :( Who would be able to diagnose me properly? I just want to know what the hell is going on inside my head :( I've never seen a psychiatrist, only occupational therapists and my GP.

Your GP should be able to refer you if he/she is unable to make a diagnosis or contact someone themselves, I would have thought.

Reading some of the descriptions in the manual might help you highlight a few possibles to discuss with your GP. If you want it, I can post it for you and tell you which pages to look at.

Yes please Thank you very much <3

Ok, here you go:

http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/en/bluebook.pdf

Mood disorders are F30-39, pages 91-109.

Its worth reading page 12 & 17. It will also be worth reading F41 pages 115-116 because it explains about mixed anxiety & depressive disorders which are classified as anxiety disorders and how to differentiate.

Thread Information