Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Convinced I have Oral Cancer (lump on palate, neck, and ear ache)

Re: Convinced I have Oral Cancer (lump on palate, neck, and ear ache)

Quote Originally Posted by AMomentofClarity View Post
    I bet you would still find something to worry about....something they missed, experience level, something you forgot to mention etc. The HA mind always finds something.

Dentists are absolutely experts in recognizing oral cancer. If they were concerned they’d submit you for additional testing.
    For sure they would HA plays many sophisticated tricks that's why it's important to get help for HA wether that be meds/therapy/books or all 3 ATB

You've just seen the experts on OC, and they gave you the all clear.

AKA: You haven't got it.

So today I saw my actual Dr. and he didn't want to chance it. Said he could feel a very clear growth in the spot between the hard and soft pallets on the right hand side. Said it was asymmetrical, meaning it is on the right side of the pallet but not the other, and has now referred me to an ENT. He also made note of the occipital node on the back of my neck.

I'm waiting for a call for my appt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzinn View Post
    So today I saw my actual Dr. and he didn't want to chance it. Said he could feel a very clear growth in the spot between the hard and soft pallets on the right hand side. Said it was asymmetrical, meaning it is on the right side of the pallet but not the other, and has now referred me to an ENT. He also made note of the occipital node on the back of my neck.

I'm waiting for a call for my appt.

I've replied a few times on this subject because I lived it. I said a few times that "Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go, nor does it stop once it starts".

In the couple of months you've had this(I know you said weeks but I remember the post in March because I responded to it and saw it before things were merged/deleted), that bump and/or the gland would have grown too. The ear ache responded to medication and that wouldn't have happened if it were sinister. I know because, prior to my surgery, as my cancer grew in my neck, the tumors began to wrap around structures in my neck and in turn that caused pain and other symptoms. It didn't come and go nor did it respond to antibiotics. Even pain meds didn't help that much.

Your doctor is practicing CYA medicine (cover your ass), and to me that's the sign of a good doctor. I understand 100% of what you're feeling because I've been there but there's something I personally found to be the kryptonite of that worry.... "It's NOT cancer until the say it's cancer".

Let me share one more personal experience (sorry, my fingers are rambling). About a year out from my cancer treatment (and my cancer had a 50/50 chance of recurring!) I had a big scare. Turned out to be a severe reaction to a virus. So just saying that even in my situation, which had a 50/50 chance of being sinister, it was Ok. Think about the odds in your situation with no history of oral cancer. Let us know how you make out!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post

Positive thoughts
    I appreciate the kind words Fishmanpa, as always. I had a similar thing happen a few years ago when I had a very rock hard swollen gland in my neck under my jawline and assumed the worst as I had no other symptoms with it. 2-3 weeks later after discovering the lump I had the worst strep I had ever had and it turned out to be mono.

Unfortunately, my mind is connecting dots that make sense in theory but could also be anxiety taking over. I recognize this, but I used to smoke, it wouldn't surprise me if I had HPV from a previous relationship with a not so loyal partner, and unfortunately, this thing just does not seem to be going away.

I'll keep everyone updated as always. Just wish I wasn't dealing with this worry in the back of my head 24/7. I'm surprisingly calm and collected about it from previous experiences but this time seems more of an "UH OH" than others.

I saw an ENT today and she seemed very dismissive that my bump was anything sinister. Said it was most likely a bone and that even if it were a tumor it'd be very slow growing and benign. She seemed pretty confident despite my questions and assertions that these kind of cancers often go misdiagnosed. I told her it was odd that a bone would just randomly appear a month ago out of the clear blue sky but she seems to think its trauma related and I noticed it and fixated on it due to my anxiety. Also told me it was definitely not a Torus.

So I'm gonna try my best to accept that 3-4 separate medical practitioners have assured me that it isn't anything to be concerned about. I can feel my health anxiety telling me that they're potentially missing something serious. No tests (CT, Blood, ultrasound, etc.) were done either so that doesn't really help anything. I guess maybe I should've asked for one but I feel silly demanding something that none of my drs have recommended.

Ultimately I was told to keep an eye on it. I don't like the idea of constantly having to check it every other day for 6 months but whatever. For now I'm just gonna call it a day on this one.

Finally, the node in my neck was dismissed as normal despite it feeling larger on one side and not the other. No test done here either. Considering i've had this for 8+ months now, I'm not as worried about it. My Ear continues to have an on and off pressure feeling. ENT explained that I had a deviated septum and that allergies and over-aggressive cleaning (which I am guilty of) are probably the cause.

Will update if this unfortunately does become sinister in some way. I know sometimes people google/search for similar issues and ask for updates.

Thanks to everyone who helped see me through it all.

Great to hear! Courtesy of your friendly neighborhood "Told Ya So Gang"!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

despite my questions and assertions that these kind of cancers often go misdiagnosed. I told her it was odd that a bone would just randomly appear a month ago out of the clear blue sky
    As much as I’m sure she appreciates your vast internet acquired knowledge and clinical opinions, it’s probably best to trust the professionals on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by AMomentofClarity View Post
    As much as I’m sure she appreciates your vast internet acquired knowledge and clinical opinions, it’s probably best to trust the professionals on this one.
    Which I am doing. I wasn't trying to be rude when I told her this, I just wanted to express my concerns clearly and concisely. It's not unheard of for doctors to get things wrong, they've done so multiple times with my own family and friends. It never hurts to express concerns.

As stated though, I'm gonna trust the ENT's opinion to the best of my ability and try to move on.

Which I am doing. I wasn't trying to be rude when I told her this, I just wanted to express my concerns clearly and concisely. It's not unheard of for doctors to get things wrong, they've done so multiple times with my own family and friends. It never hurts to express concerns.

As stated though, I'm gonna trust the ENT's opinion to the best of my ability and try to move on.
    Which is good, but what are you going to do regarding your HA it's important to get this treated let us know how you get on please ATB

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information