Thread: Started with Citalopram 10...

Started with Citalopram 10...

hi,
    My doctor started me on citalopram 10mg about 5 weeks ago. I suffered from the shakes and I was so forgetful, doppy really. I had to keep catching my breath and in the pit of my stomach, all i could describe it is, the feeling was like someone died, you know, the doom, dream, sadness.
    The doctor started me on them because I suffer from bad panc attacks, but I found that the 10mg, although they gave me these side effects for the first 2 weeks, didnt help much with the panic. I actually think it made it much worse, I started avoiding going anywere.
    So went back to the doc and he up'd it to 20mg. so I'v only been on the 20 for a week. Yesterday I had to push myself to actually cross the front door and go into town shopping, amazingly enough I did it.
    What I want to know is... it says that it take about 5 to 6 weeks for the pills to actually start to get into your system, and calm you. Well, because I was on 10mg for 4 weeks, and then up'd to 20mg, were would that leave me? i know that it will probably take a wee bit longer because it was a small dosage to start with, would I count, 2 weeks as 1?

Thanks for any help
    x x x

Re: Started with Citalopram 10...

Hi

I was on these meds for 10 years, i was given 20mg from the start and they done wonders for the panic attacks.

It did take 2 weeks before they kicked in and in the meantime i did feel a bit more anxious. But stick with it and i'm sure they will help. As you have already been taking 10mg they could work a bit quicker. Good Luck

hi gezmerelda, i have always wondered this as i have been on my new dose of 40 mg now for over 4 weeks and still dont feel a lot of improvement. Is it 4-6 weeks from starting the upped dose or from originally starting the meds. x take care lucy

Hi lucy & gez....every time you up your dose give it 4-6 weeks, my doc says sometimes it can even take 8wks in some people .Give your dose time to adjust before you increase again is my advice ,that makes the side effects less on the new dose. sue x

thanks so much for your advice, it is very much appretiated.

I will stick to it, and see what happens.

Thanks again
    x x x

Thread Information