Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Visual Disturbances

Visual Disturbances

Hey y'all!
    I am sitting here in a mild panic because of a "visual disturbance". Such a generic term. I will try to describe what I am seeing. Partially because it will help me to get this out and partially because I am curious to see if anyone else has anything like this.
    I was sitting in my living room and I looked up at the wall and I noticed that it all looked a bit like it was flickering. Now we have flourescent bulbs and they are very yellow and not very bright. Plus I had the ceiling fan on and that sometimes makes the light strobe a bit. So anyway I freaked out when I saw this. I got up and went into the other rooms to look around where there was no fan running and I can still see the flickering. It is like everything is sparkeling only instead of refracting bright light it is refracting darker light. Almost like when you rub your eyes too hard and you get that starburst effect only in reverse. I know, this is not making sense. I think I posted about this kind of thing once before but I have noticed it off and on for a while. Mostly when I go outside to walk when it is overcast. Almost like there is not enough light for me to see. Hmmm I wonder if that is a common denominater.
    I also want to know if anyone else sees "sparkles" when you go from darkness to light, like when you turn on a light during the night. I do. I asked my hubby and he said that he did not. Now I am wondering if something is wrong with me. I am nearsighted and have astigmatisim (sp?) I also have optic migraines when I am extremely stressed and hormonal. But I have not had one in a long time. I had my eyes checked just this last summer when I got my new glasses and everthing checked out fine. I guess I let the scary thoughts run away from me. Things like "What if I have a brain tumor" "What if I am going blind" etc. etc. [Sigh...] And I was doing so well for such a long time. Oh well.......
    I would realy appreceate any and all input. Thanks in advance.
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

hello Debbie,

When I feel anxious or panicky, my eye-sight sometimes goes weird. I can't focus properly, lights are too bright, etc. It can often happen so don't worry about it too much. I'm sure that it is nothing serious!!

Sarah

Hi Debbie, gosh this is hard work all this anxiety business eh? i also get symptoms similar to what you described, and yes i then convince myself that i am losing my sight, or have a brain tumour or high blood pressure, the list is endless, sling in a bit of dizziness, and i'm scared to move, what you describe is very common with anxiety, it's good you have had your eyes checked recently, 'cos, as you know, opticians can detect certain illnesses through your eyes, and if you had a problem you would have been advised to check with a doctor, so try hard to be re-assured by this and try hard to ignore the scary thoughts, if only eh? take care.

Debbie

I get this more when I am very tired or stressed.

We went out on Saturday and I noticed then that my vision was blurry and it is scary. I think mine is tiredness and feeling a bit anxious.

I hope it goes soon for you.

Nicola

I sometimes get a strobe like effect, especially when I wake up at night - it's nothing serious.

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

Im new to this forum so Im sorry its a late reply. I get these sparkly things drifting accross my vision too. I also get the flickering and black blobs causing me to have a blind patch for a few mins. I got checked out at the opticians who told me its another form of migraine caused by stress. I usually get an aura when im gettin a migraine but this was all new to me.
    Jude

I get alot of visual disturbances, I see flickering like you and the edges of my vision are blurry, and I think I see things out of the corner of my eye, lights are too bright (particularly flourescent ones). All of these things are freaky at first, but once I realised they are caused by panic I just try to ignore them as best I can. Please don't worry.

Mel

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hey y'all!
    I am sitting here in a mild panic because of a "visual disturbance". Such a generic term. I will try to describe what I am seeing. Partially because it will help me to get this out and partially because I am curious to see if anyone else has anything like this.
    I was sitting in my living room and I looked up at the wall and I noticed that it all looked a bit like it was flickering. Now we have flourescent bulbs and they are very yellow and not very bright. Plus I had the ceiling fan on and that sometimes makes the light strobe a bit. So anyway I freaked out when I saw this. I got up and went into the other rooms to look around where there was no fan running and I can still see the flickering. It is like everything is sparkeling only instead of refracting bright light it is refracting darker light. Almost like when you rub your eyes too hard and you get that starburst effect only in reverse. I know, this is not making sense. I think I posted about this kind of thing once before but I have noticed it off and on for a while. Mostly when I go outside to walk when it is overcast. Almost like there is not enough light for me to see. Hmmm I wonder if that is a common denominater.
    I also want to know if anyone else sees "sparkles" when you go from darkness to light, like when you turn on a light during the night. I do. I asked my hubby and he said that he did not. Now I am wondering if something is wrong with me. I am nearsighted and have astigmatisim (sp?) I also have optic migraines when I am extremely stressed and hormonal. But I have not had one in a long time. I had my eyes checked just this last summer when I got my new glasses and everthing checked out fine. I guess I let the scary thoughts run away from me. Things like "What if I have a brain tumor" "What if I am going blind" etc. etc. [Sigh...] And I was doing so well for such a long time. Oh well.......
    I would realy appreceate any and all input. Thanks in advance.
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

<div align="right">Originally posted by Hears The Water - 06 December 2004 : 02:46:48</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Yes, I get funny vision too when I'm anxious and in my case is often more of a 'flickering' sensation. Try not to worry too much, sounds like yet another of our lovely symptoms!

Best wishes
    Jo xx

"courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear"

hi there, i always got disturbances when i had a bad patch, as if my blood pressure was causing it. For about six months i have had a twitch in my right eye, its got to the point that i hardly recognise it. I think disturbances with vision is quite common but can vary in my ways

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information