Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Constant Awareness of Breathing

Re: Constant Awareness of Breathing

Hi All

Have a look at this great website. I found it on facebook and it is recommended by the Times newspaper. The aim is to watch what happens in your mind not try to take your mind off thoughts. When you get good at meditation you can add some really scary thoughts and dissipate them also.

http://www.getsomeheadspace.com/

Take Care

Mee

hi ...i have same thing now for 2 days its awfull ...iam tryimg to learn how to get breathing under control;.... hope u get better soon

BeyondOCD.com has a section on Sensorimotor Obsessions.
    Seems like a great website that addresses many of these issues of breathing awareness and similar conditions... Woot
    I'm not crazy apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike3321 View Post
    BeyondOCD.com has a section on Sensorimotor Obsessions.
    Seems like a great website that addresses many of these issues of breathing awareness and similar conditions... Woot
    I'm not crazy apparently.
    Good find. There is a long running thread on the OCD board that might be helpful too for people with this form of OCD.

Yeah, there is a useful possibility of using Mindfulness meditation to observe it to dispel the fear that seems an interesting option.

Sensorimotor OCD is a rarer form that seems to get little coverage anywhere and it was BeyondOCD that helped me to understand it.

I would point out those that this form is about being compelled to control the autonomous function though, not just awareness as a lot of us do that without it developing to the crippling levels of that intense form of OCD. I've had many forms of OCD and also had several bouts of this awareness of breathing and feeling like needing to control it but thankfully it hasn't lasted long enough to become another form of OCD. I think this one must be one of the worst in OCD, it controls every second of your life.

I have this problem and feel like there is constant pressure in my nose. I try not to think about it and take my mind of it but with their being constant pressure in my nose it is so hard to switch off. Does anyone have any tips? Since my first PA I have been constantly aware of my breathing and it is getting so tiring. Any CBT would be greatly appreciated.

Any CBT please

Marvel at the truth, you are breathing just fine, it's preferable to the alternative, each breath you suck in is a miracle, it's actually kind of soothing if you just continue to let it happen, it will happen anyway once you forget about it.
    ''...an utter depression of soul which I can compare to no earthly sensation more properly than to the after-dream of the reveller upon opium - the bitter lapse into everyday life, the hideous dropping off of the veil. There was an iciness, a sinking, a sickening of the heart, an unredeemed dreariness of thought which no goading of the imagination could torture into aught of the sublime.''

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information