Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh Help Me!

Oh Help Me!

I'm driving myself crazy!!!

I feel like I have nothing in my life and I'm forever focued on my symptoms...and I still dont know what they are!
    I have dry patches in my mouth and they have been present for a while now...I've posted here a few times thinking its HIV but I have never had unprotected sex...

This was due to google I may add.

I do rub my tongue around there alot because I'm always checking if it's still there!

I've been to both the GP and dentist TWICE and they cannot SEE anything physical...as they seem to only be FELT by me. Like a raised, rough patch in my mouth, well a few...so it can't be cancer because wouldnt that be localised? Also I'm only 19 and dont smoke or drink heavily. The main thing I'm worried about is HIV

Re: Oh Help Me!

Hey there, sounds like u have totally wound yourself up! If you have never had unprotected sex then it's highly unlikely you have HIV, I'm pretty sure your not a drug user either, so your risk factor is 0%! In other words highly unlikely!

Why do you think it's HiV anyway? Because google tells you that's what it is?

There are many other possibilities that might cause this, totally harmless causes! I know it's hard but don't torture youself over this! Believe me I know!!

Hugs xxx

Hey

I had my time of worrying I was HIV positive. As you have not had unprotected sex, your chances of being HIV positive are just about 0.

I went to have an HIV test. I am a gay guy so my risk is really much much higher. And it was negative!!! The relief was so so so amazing.

Contact the Terrence Higgings Trust and they will tell you where you can get a confidential test, same day result.

Pull yourself together, have it done and see this worry disappear.

Furthermore, HIV is not a death sentence anymore. I have plenty of friends in combination therapy who live fulfilling lives and whose life expectancy is probably teh same as mine as long as they stick to their medication and look after themselves.

visit www.tht.org.uk

and as I always say, chill the hell out!

Thank you for both of your swift replies...

It is taking its toll on me now, I know its ridiculous and I'm far too scared to get a test.

If they were HIV related symptoms, wouldnt the doc/dentist picked it up when I went?

You must know that rationally you haven't got HIV, what are your chances of getting it? It's not like catching a cold!

There a list of symptoms related to HIV, that a doctor would know what to look for, but you DONT have it.

Because google says dry patches are a symptom of HIV DOESNT mean you have it : ) we are all guilty of the dreaded google, it does more damage sometimes than good!

When I was 19 - I had EXACTLY the same fear - in fact, it's where I can pinpoint my HA starting.... my fear was unfounded like yours and weirdly, it started with sensations in my mouth (I guess I must have read it somewhere and got fixated).
    It became an obsession - to the point where I was practically begging my doctor for an HIV test, which, at the time, he refused to give me as I was not remotely in the risk bracket.
    Dentists are experts at spotting problems in the mouth - if there was ANYTHING wrong with you or with your mouth the dentist would have seen it. Honestly.
    Try not to get hung up on this - and if you are, do as the others have said, get tested.... but I can tell you, almost 100% - you do not have HIV. But you could be kick starting a major anxiety problem....
    I really sympathise as I know exactly what you're going through, but one thing I will say is, if I had my time again - things would be different - I've had HA for 20 years now - and, at times, it's ruined my life.... if I could go back in time and address the problem where it started, I really would.

Do you not have any friends who you could perhaps relax with and take you mind of this non-existent HIV?

I think that you see HIV as a death sentence and this is what makes it so frightening to you. Whilst it is most definitely something you don't want to catch I thought this made interesting reading.

A recently published article in the Lancet (2008; 372:293-99) provides estimates of life expectancy for HIV-infected adults receiving combination antiretroviral therapy. It is based on analysis of over 43,000 patients from industrialised countries, including some from the United Kingdom. The median life expectancy for such patients was 63 years for those diagnosed at age 20 and 67 years for those diagnosed at age 35.

Quote Originally Posted by bex1970 View Post
    When I was 19 - I had EXACTLY the same fear - in fact, it's where I can pinpoint my HA starting.... my fear was unfounded like yours and weirdly, it started with sensations in my mouth (I guess I must have read it somewhere and got fixated).
    It became an obsession - to the point where I was practically begging my doctor for an HIV test, which, at the time, he refused to give me as I was not remotely in the risk bracket.
    Dentists are experts at spotting problems in the mouth - if there was ANYTHING wrong with you or with your mouth the dentist would have seen it. Honestly.
    Try not to get hung up on this - and if you are, do as the others have said, get tested.... but I can tell you, almost 100% - you do not have HIV. But you could be kick starting a major anxiety problem....
    I really sympathise as I know exactly what you're going through, but one thing I will say is, if I had my time again - things would be different - I've had HA for 20 years now - and, at times, it's ruined my life.... if I could go back in time and address the problem where it started, I really would.
    Thank you so much for that everyone

My wisdom tooth is coming through, do you think its related?
    I know the dentist would have, but there is something wrong, I can feel it

I am absolutely convinced you are HIV negative but if it is bothering you so much, I really suggest you have a test (but not through your GP, in a GUM clinic) It is free and you will get teh result straight away. You will stress for a few hours more and as soon as you get the result, you will move on.

HIV cannot be diagnosed by symptoms, although you would notice significant weight loss most probably before any patches in your mouth or any infection-like signs.

Quote Originally Posted by eurotrashcub View Post
    I am absolutely convinced you are HIV negative but if it is bothering you so much, I really suggest you have a test (but not through your GP, in a GUM clinic) It is free and you will get teh result straight away. You will stress for a few hours more and as soon as you get the result, you will move on.

HIV cannot be diagnosed by symptoms, although you would notice significant weight loss most probably before any patches in your mouth or any infection-like signs.
    Thank you for this. I have found a GUM clinic near me however I'm so scared to go!!!!

I havent got any weight loss yet...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information