Thread: Can you hurt your chest by overbreathing?

Can you hurt your chest by overbreathing?

I tend to overbreathe when I'm anxious, taking really really deep breaths every few minutes and often breathing from my chest instead of my stomach (I know that's wrong but it's because I also get stomach pain when I'm anxious which makes stomach breathing difficult!). I've been doing it a lot recently and I feel like I've been kicked in the ribs, my whole chest hurts! My sternum, across the top and bottom of my ribs, down to the side and round to the back all feels like one big bruise. Has anyone else had this caused by overbreathing or should I be worried that it's something else?? Thanks!

Re: Can you hurt your chest by overbreathing?

Have you done a lot of excersize or anything recently? Also do you have a hard bed?

ive had it for 3 months nearly its horrible. it started with panic attacks now breathing is all i think of the more u try to breath correctly the harder it is, it like learning to breath again. my chest hurts from it feel sore and heave and my ribs like pressure.
    i know what your going through and its hard work like now im breathing fine but then it will start from the chest again.
    dont worry it is from breathing through the chest it wares you out.

It feels like it's from exercise but I haven't had the energy to do any of that for a long time!

Most mornings when I wake up it's ok (so I don't think it's my bed) but as the day goes on it hurts more and more to take a deep breath and by the evening I feel like I've bruised every muscle around my chest wall. I'm trying not to breathe too deeply but of course the more you think about your breathing the more you want to...feels like I'm going to crack a rib!

Thread Information