Thread: Not Escaping from Public Transport

Not Escaping from Public Transport

Hello guys and girls!

I'm new to this forum, and any forum in fact, so I hope I'm doing this right

A couple of weeks ago I experienced a panic attack in a local shop, it was the opening day and extremely packed, I was perfectly fine until I went down one of the aisles and froze. I felt like I was about to throw up, sweaty, heart pounding, I had to escape. So I ran, since then my panic attacks have gotten worse.

I travel to university about 4x a week, a 2 hour commute (very busy, for Devon) I was on the train and had a feeling to run when the doors shut. I felt exactly the same as I did in the shop, I got off at the next shop and called my partner (he's suffered with anxiety for the past 4 years.)

To cut a long story short I've been avoiding university (been signed off for 2 weeks) and the train travel. The doctor has perscribed me propranolol and sent me for CBT. However I just can't seem to get on a train anymore, I had a bit of a breakdown and cried for about an hour down the beach by myself. It's starting to really affect my degree!

Sorry for the long winded post. Just I feel like I needed to get everything off my chest!

Thank you.

Re: Not Escaping from Public Transport

Hello!
    I know exactly how you feel. I feel better on buses because the stops are more regular and the buses can stop easier. When I have panic attacks on the train, I go straight to the toilet. You can calm yourself down in private without getting off the train. I have to sometimes get a local train, but the trains are awful little trains (not designed for journeys longer than 30 minutes where they terminate) and they have no toilets! Nightmare. There was literally no where to go and a fair distance from the next stop. I covered myself in my coat/jacket and pretended to fall asleep! Really under neath I was panicking like mad! I hope one day this goes away for you and for me. But yeah, sit in a carriage near a toilet! You'll feel better once you lock yourself in and take some deep breaths. Then if you still feel bad you can get off at the next stop! But ride it out in the loo first!!!

Hello! Thank you for your reply. That is a help to know I'm not alone. I'm the same I'm ok on long distance trains as they're generally not as packed as the smaller local trains that I have to get to change service, they're horrid, usually 2 coaches and standing room only. I've had to use them for the past 2 years, just this has only happened within the past two weeks to be quite honest, so it is really frustrating :( thank you for your advice!

My panic attacks started when I was doing my nursing degree - stressful time eh!
    Are you signed off at the moment? I wonder if you are, maybe you could go down to the train station and just sit - don't get on a train but just think about it and get comfortable with being there. Maybe you and your boyfriend could get on the train together and get off at the next stop? Just to practise getting comfortable.
    I ended up too scared to go into supermarkets, so I did similar things, I'd drive to the supermarket and just sit in the car park, then I'd go in and buy one thing close to the til etc. Now I actually try and force myself to have panic attacks in the shop because I can't believe I was ever scared! X

Thread Information