Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is weight gain inevitable on Citalopram

Is weight gain inevitable on Citalopram

I am overweight and don't want to put more on due to a drug. However I am also not coping so need to do something.

I have lost almost a stone in the last 4 weeks, I have been on Citalopram for 5 days, I don't want to undo this and feel worse about myself by putting weight on.

What I am asking is if weight gain on Citalopram is inevitable? Has anyone managed to lose weight or maintain their weight without drastic diets?

Re: Is weight gain inevitable on Citalopram

Hi there, I lost about 2 stone when I first started on Citalopram and I have been on it over 4 months now and have not really put much back on, maybe about half a stone. I have read that people put on weight with this med but so far I haven't. Hope it goes well for you on the meds, they have made me feel so much better but still not quite there :-)

Jannie

Your response is amazing, I hoped someone with a positive story would reply! Just need a few more to give me some decent hope.

Hi, I was like Jannie, when I took citalopram I too lost a stone and a half and managed to keep it off. I took cit on and off for around 9 years and didnt find weight an issue with it. Unfortunately I am now on mirtazipine and that has weight gain attatched to it as one of its main side effects.

Good luck I am sure you will be fine.
    Jo.

Thanks Jo for taking the time to respond. Wonder why some drugs do have that as a side effect and why nothing can be done about it?

Hi I have been taking Cit for about 10 months now and found I have put weight on. My mum & dad have struggled with weight issues during their lives and I moved in with my other have from my mum's house when I started taking them, so this may not have helped, but hoping i will start to lose it now i am coming off them. I am also doing slimming world at the mo!!! Good luck

I don't have any experience with anti-ds like citalopram and in the past was given tranquilisers (benzos tranxene and ativan) but they didn't alter my weight at all. I hadn't taken any drugs for many years until 2 years ago when the doctor put me on Beta blockers (propranolol-half inderal) and these do come with weight gain as a side effect, and indeed I have put on weight since starting on them. The doctor said its because it can interfere with insulin levels and lead to an imbalance of blood sugar, which in turn can stimulate the fat cells....nice I'd be interested to hear why the other meds can put weight on too.

Anna xx

In my opinion, it's not inevitable no. I am a stone smaller than 6 months ago and have been on a variety of meds recently. If you adopt healthy eating habbits, get active and drink drink drink water - you will be fine.

If you're doing anything active, don't stop doing it just because you started these meds. Keep it going, it will help and make you feel better about yourself and get the endorphins pumping through your system.

I've not finished my first week, but I'm still doing my weights and on my marathon cycles 3 times a week, yes my arse feels like it might after 3 months playing supplicant to a 20 stone prison inmate called Bubba, but I'm still slowly losing weight.

Best of luck to you mate.

Hi
    I don't think weight gain is inevitable. Some people find they lose weight whilst taking citalopram.
    I agree with what has been said in the previous posts.
    I have gained a stone and a half since taking citalopram, - I was 8 stone before - and I don't really eat anything and I exercise and walk a lot but maybe if I didnt get exercise and walk than I would be bigger. Walking and exercise help me feel so much better afterwards. I can tell the difference when I don't.
    I would rather have almost no anxiety now - thanks to the medication - rather than being back at my normal weight and suffering with anxiety.
    Best of luck to you.
    Last edited by PoppyC; 01-06-10 at 13:06.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information