Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balance and vertigo problems and anxiety

Balance and vertigo problems and anxiety

If you are afraid to fly, drive etc. and the feeling is that you are not in control, you may not be!

The inner ear controls more than balance, it works with your brain when you are in motion. The disorders are related to this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinthitis
    http://forums.webmd.com/.eeeabbe

I am going to see my doctor in early Jan and will insist that the inner ear be examined as well.

I do not have trouble with balance with walking, but I can sort of see something odd there as well. My balance is not what it was 6 months ago.

Inner ear problems may be permanent or may be infections.

I did have symptoms of anxiety in my 20s, more like generalized anxiety for some months, so I do not think this is all there is to it. But it adds to panic symptoms.

Re: Balance and vertigo problems and anxiety

Hi Tero, What do you rationally think it is?

I think it is part of the same control issue we have with most things. If inner ear problems interfere with your motions, driving etc., your brain tells you are not in control. Adreline goes up, you panic. So I think you need both anxiety and the inner ear proble, the inner ear problem alone will not lead to panic.

Hi, yes. I have had 'inner ear' probs, and I do have anxiety when driving in certain situations. I found when I had the ear prob it affected walking etc. But my driving prob is due to anxiety which luckily I can deal with in my own way. I hope you don't take offence in me replying.

So you are driving these days? How fast?

My driving problems deal with motion, I do not mind being stuck in slow traffic for instance. I do not have the I want out of here reaction when slow or not moving.

I'm driving because if I don't I can't get to shops etc. It's when I'm on motorways (highways?) and dual carriageways- and yuck - bridges!! I feel as if I'm not in control and something is going to happen either by me or someone else.
    I don't usually write how I feel, as when I do I begin to 'live' it - hence my short replies.
    How does it affect you?

I have the panic attacks on the motorways. If I drive 5 miles, it may not come, but 20 miles, for sure at least once. I need to be in the middle lane for real panic. If I am in the lane that can exit anytime, not so bad. Except the rush hour traffic is bad. So the general anxiety level is up just due to bad traffic. Sunday morning I could manage 10 miles. City streets I have to deal with daily. I enjoy red lights, a rest!

Love red lights! - Not in USA tho' - you can actually turn (can't remember which direction) when it's clear there!! Don't do that in England.
    Does it happen when you're on your own or when you're driving others?

I do not have any problem with just sitting in the car, unless it is night and really terrible weather, I trust the other driver. I rarely drive with someone else as passenger, I make them drive. This is just the last two months, I was able to drive about 3 hours on the motorway till then, passengers or not on board.

The rather sudden problem would point to something physical adding to my situation.

OK, yep we can suddenly feel that way. Because I've always driven (accept for maybe a few months, 15 yrs ago) and I don't have anyone to drive me - I don't know if I could trust anyone. So....I don't know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information