Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Citalopram And Diazepam

Re: Citalopram And Diazepam

Its ok nic i might take one or two a week at most just need to take the edge off these side effects

Hey Bluebirds.

I was prescribed Citalopram, with Lorazepam (virtually the same as Diazepam)...the Lorazepam only to be used when needed.

Yes - the Diazepam will very likely calm you down and help you through the really panicky episodes. It is fine to take it with Citalopram.

Like Nic said though, be careful with it. As well as being physically addictive, I think it is also psychologically addictive, and I think this is the biggest problem. Basically - it calms you down. You learn that when you take Diazepam, you feel better. So it becomes incredibly difficult to realise that you will be ok without it. To this end, however little you take, it is addictive. Your body might not be craving it, but you need to learn that you will be fine without it.

I'd suggest you stick with what the GP has prescribed for now. Diazepam can be useful in getting you through the most difficult times. As soon as you feel a bit better though, stop taking it and try to deal with those difficult situations without it. Once you fully believe you will be fine and cope with the panic - you will.

Good luck xxx

Can anyone tell me how long the side effects last whilst taking the citalopram..i have also got diazepam to take to help but would that just knock me out? lol. Any advice would be good..cheers

[QUOTE=country girl;633758]Can anyone tell me how long the side effects last whilst taking the citalopram..i have also got diazepam to take to help but would that just knock me out? lol. Any advice would be good..cheers [/QUOTE

Hi CGirl,

My side effects on 20mg citalopram were mostly over in 3 weeks.
    Not happy at all in the first three weeks.
    But then I was sleeping properly again, tum had settled down, headaches gone, most of the vagueness had gone, just had a male "side effect" that you won't get (more details on a postcard!), and it was all much much easier after 3 wks.

Now am into 9 weeks and no sign of any side effects!

I would try my hardest not to use any other pill except cit - you can do it.
    If you must take an *azepam, keep it irregular and infrequent.
    I found regular nytol helped me sleep as well as the *azepams to be honest.

Although we are all different, so do what you need to I guess!

xMartian

Thanks Martin..early days and feeling like crap...it seems like the panic attacks are ten times worse and i feel like an alien in unfamiliar surroundings but apart from that i am determined to stick with it. Thanks again all the best.

sorry Martian think got ur name wrong.

Hi Country Girl,

You were correct it is Martin, we have a bit of a giggle on here and call Martin all sorts so dont worry, he is very funny and makes us laugh.

I am not currently taking citalopram but did take it for around 9 years on and off and it was very successfull for me at that time. I always found as long as I started on a low dose and worked my way up very slowly the side effects were not so bad but ones I suffered with were:

Lost my appetite, and lost around a stone and half when first taking it
    Insomnia, would not be able to sleep and if I did drop off would wake really early
    Increased anxiety, that was the worst for me but diazepam can help but I only took it when I really had to as it can become addictive.
    Lack of libido - this is a bit of a pain but not everyone feels this.

The side effects you can experience are nothing compared to the benefits the med can bring to you, they do pass, if you can take a couple of weeks away from work it would ease the problem untill the meds really start to take effect, it not, then I know some people on here who have managed to work whilst taking it.

Please remember we are all different, so you might not experience the same as others.

Good luck hun..Jo.xx

Quote Originally Posted by country girl View Post
    sorry Martian think got ur name wrong.
    Oops - I have been called many things on here cg.

I think your determination will see you through!
    Stick with it - it does get loads better.

Cheers
    Sir Barrett of Martinshire

Hi Country Girl,

I'm on week 10 (or 11 or something like that - have lost track now!) of 20mg Citalopram and most of the side effects have gone. Only thing I do get still is a bit of insomnia but it's not an 'unpleasant' insomnia - ie no anxiety involved with it - just a bit frustrating when you know you have a busy day ahead! But they have been so worth it! Apart from the occassional blip I feel back to my old self almost.

My gp gave me diazepam to take in the first few weeks but managed to steer clear of them so can't really advise as to them! I think personally I am glad I didn't take them as although it was no picnic in the park to start with I feel stronger knowing I managed to make it through the worst unaided! But then I don't think my anxiety is as bad as other's on here so it is all individual.

I am on day 6 and still suffering with bad side effects..i take a 2mg diaz in the morning but try not to take anymore through the day but find myself still getting anxious and panicky. I want to thank everyone who has posted a reply because believe it or not it really does help x

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information