Thread: exercise confusion

exercise confusion

I'm getting a bit confused about exercise and relaxation and was hoping someone could help!?!
    I know I should be doing aerobic exercise, yoga and relaxation, but how do I fit it all in? which is most important? At the moment I'm alternating days between aerobic exercise and yoga, but could I do 30mins aerobic followed by some yoga in the same session? Also I've just bought a guided relaxation cd which I want to use, but when? Straight after work, before exercise? or after exercise and before tea? or after tea?
    Or should I forget about trying to do all 3 and just concentrate on one? I'm getting quite stressed about it all!
    Thanks

Re: exercise confusion

Well my suggestion would be to continue with the alternating work out.

Aerobic one day, yoga the next giving yourself one day off a week.

Yoga releases toxins stored in muscle and is great for centering and grouding.
    Aerobic exercise helps move the lymph system to get the toxins out of the body through your waste systems.
    Both are wonderful.

There are also many different kinds of yoga. How intense is the one your doing? Is it sun salutation or a simple gentle streching one like that or are you doing advanced yoga where at the end of it you are sore and sweaty?

Either way keep alternating. If you are doing gentle yoga then dont be afraid to use it a few hours after working out if you have the time and feel like doubling up a day or two a week.
    -------------------------------------
    The guided relaxation cd is great and you should use it everyday if your a stress hound. The question is when should you use it. Here are a few questions and suggestions for you about this.

If your day begins with alot of anxiety right when you wake up before your able to get out the door, then I would say use it in the morning. Wake up a half hour earlier and start your day off by calming your brain and preparing for the oncoming day. It will make a great difference in your well being and stress level.

If you have a hard time sleeping then you should use it before bedtime. Prepare you mind for sleep by letting go of all the things you worried about that day. Dont worry, you can pick them up again the next day and think about them again if you feel they are unresolved.

If the hardest part of your day is during the day then perhaps lunchtime would be better spent listening to your CD in a quiet safe place where you can find your calm.

If the hardest part of your day is when you get out of work and you feel you just cant let work go or are not ready to take on the rest of your day at home, then i would suggest using the tape after work.

Hope that helped and please switch to decaf tea if you havent already.

Thanks for you reply.
    I'll stick to alternating yoga and aerobic. The yoga is a gentle form, though I do have an ashtanga yoga dvd that I used to do and will gradually start to use that again as I get my fitness back. I don't have a problem doing yoga, but still get a bit anxious when doing aerobic exercise, so am building that up slowly.
    I think before bed will probably be the best time for the guided relaxation cd, to help me sleep better.
    I'm not sure I can give up my caffeine though!! I only have 2 cups of coffee in the morning - not too bad!
    Thanks again

I think thats a great idea, getting ur fitness back. I remembered how hard that was when I had to do it. Been about 5 years since I had an attack but as my current Girlfriend is going through them, I figured I should brush up on the current knowledge. She got lucky to have a doctor that gave her a pill that stops them within about a minute. Its crazy now that I remember how my life used to be when I was going through it, not even sure how I fixed it, just faded more and more and more.

Anyway if you cant stop caffeine at least be sure to eat first, if you can.

good luck with gettin back to fitness.

Thread Information