Thread: Venlafaxine: sex and weight gain

Venlafaxine: sex and weight gain

Hi all,

I've been lurking the forums for a while now but decided today to sign up. I feel like I need some advice from the people that have actually taken venlafaxine instead of the doctors print out.

I'm worried the taking venlafaxine will affect my sex drive, I have quite a high sex drive and so does my husband. I'd hate to take something that will relieve my suffering ( I suffer from G.A.D, depression, agoraphobia and B.P.D ) but ruin my passion for sex.
    So my questions are, did you find that it affected your sex drive and ability to orgasm? If it did, did it pass like most other side effects or was it permanent?

I'm also worried about gaining weight, I already struggle with my weight because when I'm stressed I comfort eat. I find it difficult to exercise because of my depression but I do try to get out for a walk when I'm having a rare good day.
    Did you find that venlafaxine caused you to gain weight? Were you hungry all the time or is it like water retention?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I hope to read some replies

Re: Venlafaxine: sex and weight gain

Quote Originally Posted by Lycankitty View Post
    I'm worried the taking venlafaxine will affect my sex drive,
    Welcome to No More Panic,

Unfortunately, the harsh reality is that all the antidepressants, bar usually Wellbutrin (bupropion), Remeron (mirtazapine) and Desyrel, Oleptro (trazodone), may cause sexual dysfunction, though it is by no means a certainty.

The problem with mirtazapine is that it can trigger severe carbohydrate craving and weight control can be a major issue. It is also the antidepressant most prone to stop working without warning, often within just a few months.

Trazodone may enhance the libido at doses above 200mg/day. Bupropion is a very stimulating antidepressant which can make it a pretty good antidepressant for depression, but less so for anxiety. Small adjuvant doses of <=75mg can reverse, or significantly reduce SSRI/SNRI induced sexual dysfunction.

Other addons that may help are up to 30mg buspirone (Buspar); Mianserin (Bolvidon, Depnon, Norval, Tolvon) at 15-20mg/day has been reported to ease dysfunction in about 60% of cases when taken daily, but I'm not sure if this is still available in Britain as it has been replace by the similar mirtazapine in most markets. It may take 3-4 weeks to become active. The 5-HT3 antagonist ondansetron (Zofran), supposedly temporarily reduces dysfunction if taken 2-3 hours beforehand, but cost might limit its use/availability.

Ginkgo biloba at 240mg/day taken in two divided dose of 120mg has been shown to reverse anorgasmia and decreased libido in both men and women, plus erectile failure in men. Dosage should be increased from an initial 2 x 30mg/day by a similar amount every 5-7 days. Note: it should not be used by those on anticoagulants or with a known allergy to Ginkgo. Some antidepressants, particularly the SSRIs and SNRIs, also some TCAs, also affect blood coagulation so caution is needed. Don't take Ginkgo, or any other supplement, without first discussing its suitability and safety with your doctor or pharmacist.

Caution: Yohimbe is often promoted as a natural treatment for sexual dysfunction. While it does work, it is very stimulating, so much so that it is used by researchers to trigger anxiety attacks, therefore, it is contraindicated for those with anxiety disorders, and should be treated with initial caution by those with depression.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycankitty View Post
    Hi all,

I've been lurking the forums for a while now but decided today to sign up. I feel like I need some advice from the people that have actually taken venlafaxine instead of the doctors print out.

I'm worried the taking venlafaxine will affect my sex drive, I have quite a high sex drive and so does my husband. I'd hate to take something that will relieve my suffering ( I suffer from G.A.D, depression, agoraphobia and B.P.D ) but ruin my passion for sex.
    So my questions are, did you find that it affected your sex drive and ability to orgasm? If it did, did it pass like most other side effects or was it permanent?

I'm also worried about gaining weight, I already struggle with my weight because when I'm stressed I comfort eat. I find it difficult to exercise because of my depression but I do try to get out for a walk when I'm having a rare good day.
    Did you find that venlafaxine caused you to gain weight? Were you hungry all the time or is it like water retention?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I hope to read some replies

Hello! In my experience of taking Venlafaxine (for over 10 years now) it has never caused me to gain weight. I would've been very reluctant to take it if it was a common side effect as I struggled with anorexia during my teens and I still am very fearful of weight gain. Mirtazapine as the previous poster says does cause weight gain in most people that take it but that is a completely different anti depressant to Venlafaxine so try not to worry about that.

Sexual problems... It's hard to say tbh. Depression and anxiety can lower your sex drive/cause sexual dysfunction. For me, I do go through periods of having little or no interest in sex, other times its "normal". In the normal periods I have no problems reaching my "destination" if you get me. I think it's something you might just have to try it and see.

Regarding the sex drive, mine hasn't really changed, though the ability to orgasm in a reasonable amount of time has been affected by either Escitalopram (I've been on it since September 2016, though I'm now reducing my dose as I'm switching to Venlafaxine) or Venlafaxine. I can't say I'm thrilled with that, but it has not affected my life greatly.
    I've not noticed any change in my appetite.

Thread Information