Thread: mental blankness- will it go away?

mental blankness- will it go away?

Hi just recently started taking venlafaxine, (10 days in now) for depression and anxiety.

The first 5 days I was taking 2 of the 37.5mg tablets per day, but despite switching times for the second tablet, I was still finding it too stimulating taking 2 tablets.

So then the GP agreed to let me take the extended release tablet, at just 37.5mg per day

And so for these last 5 days I've been taking the extended release tabs at just 37.5mg each day.

I'm enjoying the calm feeling but the mentally vacant/ blank feeling is making me feel very anxious outside and/ or in basic interactions with others.

As I'm so early on in the process, does this effect wear off?

Thanks Xx

Re: mental blankness- will it go away?

I don't know much about the medication you're on. I've been on Zoloft 25mg day 18. I admit it's been a roller coaster ride, I haven't had much response on here, but I keep checking and see if anyone has advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_87 View Post
    I'm enjoying the calm feeling but the mentally vacant/ blank feeling is making me feel very anxious outside and/ or in basic interactions with others.

As I'm so early on in the process, does this effect wear off?
    It probably will. You are on only a small dose which probably isn't doing anything other than triggering side-effects. Antidepressants typically take 3-12 weeks to kick-in from when a therapeutic dose (usually a minimum 75mg/day) is first taken.

I think your GP also needs to remember that 2x 37.5 mg immediate release doesn't equal half of that in prolonged release.

They have gone from starting you on the minimum dose to cutting it down and it makes me wonder about the understanding of how the half lives of these drugs work.

Thanks guys, I'm very sensitive to meds, always have been and for me it's better to not be a dose which is too high as I find the side effects worse then. I have a GP appointment on the 28th so I may have the opportunity to increase dose then. Xx

update: I was allergic to the extended release tablets. lovely. so now I'm suffering from a horrendous allergy and back to the drawing board again. I'll add this to the list of meds I'm now allergic to.

Thread Information