Thread: ALS fear is back again :(

ALS fear is back again :(

So in the past 2 weeks I had 2 episodes where I was drinking water and immediately started coughing. I don't remember it happening ever, I think it was the first time I had water going down the wrong pipe. Also I've been having some trouble speaking some words clearly, connecting the dots I'm back to the fear i might have bulbar ALS at 20 years old, even though my tongue moves fine.
    If it was ALS when I started choking on water i would do it everytime and not only 2 times in 15 days or could it start this way?
    I'm scared right now, everytime i drink now I'm afraid it will happen again...

Re: ALS fear is back again :(

I have this fear too!! Last week I was drinking coffee and it went down the wrong way and I panicked!! Now I am obsessively monitoring my voice to see if it is slurred (I think it is, no one else agrees). But bare in mind the chances of you - or me -having bulbar onset ALS, at this minute, is about 1 in a million. Literally. So I would bet a huge amount of money on the fact you don't have it!

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2316 View Post
    I have this fear too!! Last week I was drinking coffee and it went down the wrong way and I panicked!! Now I am obsessively monitoring my voice to see if it is slurred (I think it is, no one else agrees). But bare in mind the chances of you - or me -having bulbar onset ALS, at this minute, is about 1 in a million. Literally. So I would bet a huge amount of money on the fact you don't have it!
    I think chances are even lower, because bulbar als before 30 is almost unheard of. But why the hell am I having water go down wrong pipe occasionally when it never happened before?
    Something that calms me is that right after it went down the wrong pipe i tried drinking again and it went down fine, i think if it was als then the muscle would be paralyzed and it would happen most of the times when i drink, that's what I think but I'm no expert and I'm really getting paranoid about it

Seems the more I think about choking the more it happens. lol. Sounds like you too.

My neighbor had this type of ALS, his symptoms were very, very extreme there was no question that something g major was going on.

I vote for you being a-ok. :-)

Today again, just 10 minutes ago i was drinking a glass of water and again i think it went down the wrong pipe, i had to cough...
    This is getting me really worried...
    Weird is sometimes I drink and it's normal, and sometimes this happens...

Thread Information