Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Have Anything Good To Report About Venlafaxine?

Does Anyone Have Anything Good To Report About Venlafaxine?

My doctor wants me to start taking Venflaxine, but everything I've read about it makes its side-effects sound much worse than any I'm already suffering as a result of chronic anxiety and depression. Has anyone found this drug helpful? I'm phobic about any gastric symptoms - which seem to be common with this drug - and my doctor knows that. All SSRIs I've tried made me suicidal, so why should this SNRI be any differrent? I'd be grateful for any positive feedback - don't want to read the horror stories - "Devil's own drug" etc.

Re: Does Anyone Have Anything Good To Report About Venlafaxine?

im on this one now have been for 6months ive just had the dosage increased to double soo quite a high dose, ive not had many side effects really just dry mouth at deginning, but everyone is different

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post Lonely. You're braver than me, I still haven't plucked up the courage to take any. Can't afford to feel any worse than I already do. Thanks again. Helen

Lonely - what dosage are you on?

BNC - well you know you could read horror stories about all the meds. I know Effexor has a reportedly nightmarish withdrawal syndrome but you have to weigh up the pros and cons. I personally avoid anything about the med whether it be good or bad. Only came on here cos I'm bored today.

What meds have you been on? Have you tried many? In my case I had tried loads of ssris and a tricyclic and an SNRI and and a RIMA. It didn't leave my shrink much choice but to try me on Venlaflaxine. I wasn't keen either to be honest cos I'd heard some bad stuff but I was in a state like you are I had to have something.

We are all different, that's what you must keep in mind and believe it. None of these meds react the same on everyone. I know people who have had very bad nausea on meds when I personally didn't. You either dip your toe into the water here or you ask your doctor for another med.

Do not scare yourself reading ANYTHING about any meds is my advice to you because I have done it for the last four years with every med I have tried and it doesn't do you any good whatsoever.

I am on 150mg Effexor and I had low side effects withthis - much less than with Citalapram actually. I did get a few stomach cramps and headaches with it at first but nothing too bad. I got racy heart - worse than normal but these side effects didn't really last long.

The good things with this med for me are
    I can sleep well at night on it
    I haven't gained as much weight as on others
    It doesn't make me sleepy and lifeless all day long
    It has helped the anx to a degree
    It has helped the thoughts and sensitivity towards thoughts

Naf side of it
    Hasn't done much at all for my depression
    I still get tearful on it
    get a bit dizzy when getting up from bending down

That's about it to be honest. As I say, everyone's different. If you really don't fancy this med tell the doc quickly so you can get an alternative. Good luck and keep us posted.

im on 2 tablets of 75mg so that 150mg like you
    went to see the doc friday and im being referred to see the physchiatrist to check on my pills and see what can be done to help,think doc thinks they may not be wrking anymore, im frightened to have them changed as tried others in past like propanalol which made me dizzy and feel strange etc and escitlopram which did nothing but made me feel sick

Hi Lonely

Propranalol isn't an anti depressant though. How long were you on the Cipralex for? You will get side effects for two weeks or even four weeks. How long have you been on the Effexor? Was it working before? I'd be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne View Post
    Hi Lonely

Propranalol isn't an anti depressant though. How long were you on the Cipralex for? You will get side effects for two weeks or even four weeks. How long have you been on the Effexor? Was it working before? I'd be interested.
    hi i was on excitolopram for about a year and been on venlafaxine for about 8months roughly i think, it was suggested i could go back on propanalol the beta blocker to help with panic attacks but i didn't want to with the side effects i had, plus in my head im used to venlafaxine now

im on effexor, i felt awful at first in terms of suicide and anxiety, i am on 75mg, um im not rly sure if it has ahad a positive effect on me, its difficult to tell as i am pretty up an down anyway, although im on quetiapine now too. i had the same worries that you have in terms of whether to start or not. but i just thought if it works then its saved my life! and if it doesnt and makes me worse then ill try something else, just make sure you have someone who can keep an eye on your emotions and perhaps consult your doctor if you feel yourself getting worse, as you will know.
    i dont think(and hope) the withdrawl symptoms will be okay if you taper off the medication really slowly, thats what i plan to do anyway!
    good luck, dont be put off by the negative reviews, what have you got to lose!
    hope this helps

I just want to write a response to the last entry i made 3months ago. Now having been on effexor i would say you have everything to lose. i would not reccommend this drug. I am 19 and yes felt awful and depressed so began to take it, but now 3months down the line i am terrified to come off this drug. i missed one dose last night accidentally, and suffered horrific violent very graphic constant nightmares ALL night, i have had a fever all day, i have felt dizzy, confused and in a somewhat dream like state. this is only missing one dose of 37mg. im really scared now to come off it, can anyone please reassure me. im worried that the doctors wont really know what theyre doing. I have also just been offered a new job after bein hopelessly unemployed since christmas and am worried it wont be possible to withdraw while working. if anyone has any experience it would be much appreciated.

thanks

sam

im now on 3 x 75mg daily along with another med now prescribed for night time mirtazapine along with my promazine
    im absolutley petrified of gaining weght on the new one mirtazapine and been having awful dreams and waking up with hiccups

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information