Thread: Needle, Blood/Injury, Hospital and Dental phobia

Needle, Blood/Injury, Hospital and Dental phobia

I suffer from the above badly. I have recently recieved psychological help with my needle phobia, but only for 5 weeks, as I went on holiday back in June, and had an accident while I was there, so I stayed on, which meant I missed alot of my appointments.

The 5 weeks with the psychologist were very good, and I was able to look at pictures, and watch videos which I am still a bit uncomfortable with. I also stood and watched my psychologist have a blood test, and I actually managed to have a blood test myself, which I never thought I would be able to do, but after a big panic attack, I plucked the courage up, and had the blood test, but after I fainted and was sick. It was a huge achievement for me.

I am going away a week on Monday for two weeks to Italy, so when I get back I am hoping to see somebody else for help with my phobias, as I still have a long way to go yet.

Love
    Clare

Well done Claire
    I have a similar phoia about hospitals etc.
    I have already put off one appointment.

I think you are doing the right thing gradually exposing yourself to the situation
    Have a nice holiday
    Pam

Hi.

Well done for having a blood test! Am not too bad with needles, they scare me a bit but I just sit there and think I have got professional medical people around me so it will be ok.

Scooby2005
    x x

Hello Clare

Looks like you and I were running parallel with therapy for the same thing last summer. I too suffered from needle phobia, but faced with the very real knowledge that I needed to have two blood tests a fortnight apart I took a course of CBT that ran along similar lines to yours. I found that it was particularly enlightening to have two so close together as the first one caused me to faint clean away afterwards but the second one I was fine. I was certainly anxious and surely didn't enjoy it but I had it done, went next door to buy a bottle of water, got in my car and drove the 50miles to work feeling very happy and triumphant. I am just about to start IVF which involves further blood tests and a fortnight of daily jabs but whilst I am apprehensive I do now have the confidence in my own ability to get through these things. I'll let you know how I get on when I start in mid-march. H :-)

Thread Information