Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else have a serious fear of blood tests? NOT the needle

Does anyone else have a serious fear of blood tests? NOT the needle

Hi, as title says I wondered if I'm alone in this. I need to have blood tests and have got myself in a right state about them. Last I had any was about 15 months ago just before an operation, but they were part of the pre-op so they didn't test for everything the way a GP would.

My GP has been asking me to have some since September, so much so that I've changed GP's to avoid seeing him! I don't know why I can't get past this mental block - actually I do, it's sheer terror about the results.

I actually like having the test done (weirdo) and have no problems with needles, it's those damn results. And now I am 99% sure there's a few things wrong with me so should have them even more but can't face it. I've booked the tests 3 times and cancelled the day before, it makes me feel physically sick.

Everyone I know thinks I'm pathetic, they just say "Oh just go and get them done, it's no big deal!" and "Well it's better to know if there's something wrong with you". I wish I could see it like that.

Re: Does anyone else have a serious fear of blood tests? NOT the needle

I don't think changing doctors to avoid blood tests is a good idea.
    is it not better to have them done and worry a couple of days, than avoid it and worry
    about your symptoms indefinitely ?

Quote Originally Posted by crystal17 View Post
    Hi, as title says I wondered if I'm alone in this. I need to have blood tests and have got myself in a right state about them. Last I had any was about 15 months ago just before an operation, but they were part of the pre-op so they didn't test for everything the way a GP would.

My GP has been asking me to have some since September, so much so that I've changed GP's to avoid seeing him! I don't know why I can't get past this mental block - actually I do, it's sheer terror about the results.

I actually like having the test done (weirdo) and have no problems with needles, it's those damn results. And now I am 99% sure there's a few things wrong with me so should have them even more but can't face it. I've booked the tests 3 times and cancelled the day before, it makes me feel physically sick.

Everyone I know thinks I'm pathetic, they just say "Oh just go and get them done, it's no big deal!" and "Well it's better to know if there's something wrong with you". I wish I could see it like that.
    I definitely worry about blood test results, like you it's not the needles it's waiting for that phone call about the results, my last lot I rather stupidly turned my phone off the following day just in case they rang me with bad news. I always go for them if they ask me too, but then spend the next few days in panic. I understand how you feel .
    Last edited by almamatters; 18-12-16 at 19:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Stecakes View Post
    I don't think changing doctors to avoid blood tests is a good idea.
    is it not better to have them done and worry a couple of days, than avoid it and worry
    about your symptoms indefinitely ?
    I know, you're right, I am stupid You've posted what is perfectly logical and yet I can't force my brain to think of it like that. But I will rebook them tomorrow and try my best to go!

---------- Post added at 20:40 ---------- Previous post was at 20:38 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by almamatters View Post
    I definitely worry about blood test results, like you it's not the needles it's waiting for that phone call about the results, my last lot I rather stupidly turned my phone off the following day just in case they rang me with bad news. I always go for them if they ask me too, but then spend the next few days in panic. I understand how you feel .
    Omg turning your phone off is a genius idea! I didn't think of that. Again, illogical but I can see how it helps to deal with the anxiety. Thanks so much for replying it's reassuring to know I'm not alone with this fear.

Quote Originally Posted by crystal17 View Post
    I know, you're right, I am stupid You've posted what is perfectly logical and yet I can't force my brain to think of it like that. But I will rebook them tomorrow and try my best to go!

---------- Post added at 20:40 ---------- Previous post was at 20:38 ----------

Omg turning your phone off is a genius idea! I didn't think of that. Again, illogical but I can see how it helps to deal with the anxiety. Thanks so much for replying it's reassuring to know I'm not alone with this fear.
    Hi Crystal, it did help deal with the anxiety but only for one day, it also stopped other people ringing me which was a bit daft. Better to face up to the fear if you can.

Yes I have the same fear, its the results and the damn phone call that I fear.

I have just this morning had a FBC and liver/kidney function tests and fearing they will call me with abnormal results....

Quote Originally Posted by Kay8010 View Post
    Yes I have the same fear, its the results and the damn phone call that I fear.

I have just this morning had a FBC and liver/kidney function tests and fearing they will call me with abnormal results....
    Kay - how was it, did they call you yet? Well done for getting it done, you're braver than me!

Well, heck yeah. We probably ALL do. Fear of ANY "lab work" anything that will cause me to have to wait for results. I drive myself batshit waiting for results. I fear being that wound up and scared.

Well bloods are back and all marked satisfactory and/or normal, im not going to question anything im pleased they not abnormal!

---------- Post added at 12:32 ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 ----------

OK guys quick question.....my bloods are satisfactory I it may be because the limit for a MCHC is 35, mine was at 35.1, anyone know what this means or had this before?

You said you weren't going to question anything, Kay. Your bloods are fine so no need to question a .1 discrepancy. Your GP didn't.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information