Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NEEDLE PHOBIC - need blood tests

NEEDLE PHOBIC - need blood tests

I have to have a series of blood tests relating to my anorexia... I tried to have the first today and a nurse came in to assist me because I am extremely phobic, she was a bitch made me worse, was holding me down and asking me why i bothered coming to the doc if i didnt want to have it, i was screaming at her to get off me asking her what her problem was, couldnt she tell i was phobic she was a mental case..

Then my doctor came in to try and help cos she knows im bad and i had all three of them trying to do it and i couldnt so Im going back friday to try but i just get so scared ive tried working on it with my psychologist and it didnt help..

Does anyone know any methods to help me get a needle? I know not to look and to wiggle my toes, to distract myself but honestly i am sooooo bad none of this helps I almost pass out every time from hyperventilation and crying.

I need help. I need to have these tests and I need to stop embarassing myself. I just want to not be afraid.

Please help. Thankyou. xx

FEAR is an acronym for False Evidence Appearing Real.

Re: NEEDLE PHOBIC - need blood tests

I am needle phobic too and a nurse taught me this and it works....look away, but ask the nurse to say 'going in' at the point at which he/she inserts the needle. When you hear this, Breathe out. It is impossible to tense up and pull away when you are doing this, and by the time you have finished it will be done.....let us know how you get on.

Veronicax

Hi hun. What a dreadful experience for you. I'm horrified at how they failed to recognise your phobia. If you were strong enough I would advise you complain to the practice manager about the nurses lack of care! Meanwhile, my advice is that they need to be told obviously before you go that you are terrified so they are prepared. Maybe you could ring them beforehand to explain and ask them to be as quick as possible once you go in the room. I hate needles too. I don't look and I talk constantly while its being done to take my mind off things. In my head I say to myself over and over again "this is good for me, its going to be over quick and its a good thing (sort of turn it into a positive), hope thats make sense. Somebody on another post recommended playing your favourite music on an mp3 player. Have u tried that? Good luck hun.

I'm gonna come at this from a different angle...

I don't think anybody likes having a piece of metal stuck into their vein. That's what it is. No getting away from the fact. Can't pretend it's anything else. I had blood taken two weeks ago, glad it was over quickly, not something I'd look forward to having done again.

The lack of respect shown to the nurse and other medical professionals is concerning and the nurse was quite right in what she said to you about not bothering to go if you couldn't go through with it.

I'm not surprised you embarrassed yourself by "screaming at her to get off me asking her what her problem was" !? and now you're calling her a "mental case", I'm sure the feeling's mutual.

You have to take responsibility for your own state of health considering the circumstances and it is entirely YOUR decision whether or not you seek treatment for your health problems.

No doubt you won't take kindly to this point of view, but you had three medical professionals working on you today and a psychologist in the past too.

Take responsibility for your own state of health, as we all have to and respect the training, knowledge and expertise of the medical professionals.

Harsh? Maybe. But true.

Good luck! Get past this and you can move forward!

x

Hi,
    My hubbys has needle phobia too, and had to have tests done on Tuesday. I went with him to Drs luckily not a long wait, (this adds to his stress) He stuck a baseball cap on peak over his eyes, dark glasses on, and his MP3 player playing his fav music. Nurse was really good, could see he was getting anx, and suggested he lie down. He just went into his own place. Whilst taking his blood, she kept telling him to breathe and I squeezed (hard) his leg, so he had another sensation to feel. He couldnt hear us say it was over, he'd gone somewhere else.
    He did it, was OK in the end and I'm so proud of him. I do think its disgraceful how these phobias are not taken seriously by ALL professionals. I have an ant phobia and when I finally plucked up the courage 3 years ago to go to Drs he actually laughed at me making it a lot worse and also I wouldnt go back for help. Now I see a differesnt Dr whos so understanding and has provided me with a lot of support.
    Good luck and I know you can do it.
    Ps can you not have the cream that numbs your hand at all?
    Angela

hi hun

poor you must of been an awful experience for you :(

i too hate blood tests. i finally plucked up the courage to have one done 2 weeks ago today (this was after 6 weeks of first being told i need a blood test and 3 cancelled appointments by myself!!!) my hubby came with me. i was breathing very fast and my heart was pounding. when i got in the room there were 3 blood tubes and i thought they were just taking 1 lot so i freaked out a little and the lovely nurse calmed me down.
    i led on led bed (not totally flat) looked away whilst hubby was holding my hand. i told the nurse i just wanted to run away and she made a little joke by saying maybe thats a good thing as it will make your blood come out faster lol. before i knew it it was over and i led on the bed for a min after then i got up and the nurse said 'go on run out of here' as i had built up so much adreniline in my body!!! i was shaking after (though being panicky) but was fine.

honestly hun if i can do it you can too!!! do let us know how you get on and pm me anytime xxx

Hi baby,

Well I am just the same as you but a few years ago I was so proud of myself. After suffering with palps/panic for 4 months straight I went to the docs by myself (which I am terrified of) and then 2 days later went back for a blood test (again by myself). I am always crying before I get there, I just can't help it.

The nurse was not very friendly and tried both arms once and then went back to the first arm and finally was able to draw blood. It was horrid and I was feeling like I was going to pass out, but I did it and I know you can too.

I am sorry for the post above from Its Just A Phase, I think it was very harsh and unnecessary, because if you are not phobic there is no way you can understand. I think some nurses need to be way more understanding than they are, some of them are just so stern and mean. Everybody needs a little compassion sometimes. I certainly don't think you showed a lack of respect, but being in such a panicked state sometimes makes us do things we wouldn't normally do.

Dust yourself off, go with determination and just do it like I did. I couldn't believe I could get through that but in the end I was very proud of myself.

Hang in there, it will all be over soon.

Take care
    Natalie xx

hi

im also a severe needle phobic!!! severe!

so i totally understand where your coming from.
    it took me 2 years of being sick before i would finally get blood taken lol...

i also had to have another blood test about a month ago, i used emla cream- its amazing! didnt feel the needle at all! i have to have another blood test in 2 months can you believe it!?!?!? so im going to use the emla cream again, i put it on an hr before, and keep reapplying every ten mins till the test...

make sure you lie down and it really is over quick, i know, easier said then done! i still cry just before and when they are doing it.....i get pretty anxious!!

good luck! sadly its something we all have to have.......i wish medical procedures wernt so archaic, but they still are i guess...

if i could do this, you can! oh, and demand a nice gentle nurse! its your body after all.

were all here for ya!

Thanks everyone for your warm replies. Im choosing to ignore the not so warm one. I was so relieved and thankful when I saw seven replies to my post!!

Its good to hear others experiences to know im not totally alone in my extreme phobia! Im going to try all of the techniques youve all mentioned thankyou. I do use the ELMA cream but its not the pain that worries me, its just the sensation of something being pushed inside my body i can't handle it at all ahhh!

I also think im going to ask for valium on friday, my doctor jokingly said she would give it to me but im taking her joke as being serious!!

i will let everyone know how it goes, im determined to get this blood test.

xxxx

FEAR is an acronym for False Evidence Appearing Real.

I also HATE getting blood tests done and always dread it beforehand, unfortunately having a thyroid problem means I'm going to have to get used to it! What I find really helps is having someone to talk to you on the opposite side of you from where blood is getting taken so you can be distracted. Usually I just want to say shut up and start screaming but the past few times I have just tried to have a normal conversation and ignore what is going on on with my arm and it is usually over a lot quicker that way. oh another thing I do, because I cant stand the noise of the blood coming out is to hold my ear lol. that helps a bit too.

Hope you are ok when you go back again, I totally understand how you feel.

xxx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information