Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Pregabalin - Waiting For Lift Off

Re: Pregabalin - Waiting For Lift Off

Well, to be honest, its always been a bit like that. I've only ever had 2 panic attacks, but the first one about 20 yrs ago was lying on the sofa relaxing & watching TV. I didnt get an adversion to lying on the sofa after that - far from it! Took me about 6 months of tail-chasing before being put on Sertraline.

Since then i've mostly been well, interspersed with the occasional relapse. This one seems more protracted than the others though.

I'm still suspicious of the increase in Sertraline I had in November (especially after being on the same dose for 15 years), so I was hoping that the pregabalin would allow me to drop it back.

So the big (rhetorical) questions are:

1) Why the relapse after so long in remission
    2) Did the increase in sertraline increase the anxiety levels even more ?
    3) If the sertraline didnt cause the increase in anxiety, is it a good idea to drop it back when things arnt stable yet.

(I know, no-one can answer those, but that's whats bothering me at the mo)

Rob - I guess the trick is to keep making the most of the good days, not worry about the low energy on the others. I dont think it is sedating, but being anxious on its own is incredibly tiring. Even if our neurochemicals were perfectly sorted, I'd imagine that it would take quite some time to recover.

I used to find that even when I was doing fine, after a stressful time time at work, i'd stay fine until I took any time off...then i'd feel knackered.

Iain

Quote Originally Posted by Iain53 View Post

So the big (rhetorical) questions are:

1) Why the relapse after so long in remission
    2) Did the increase in sertraline increase the anxiety levels even more ?
    3) If the sertraline didnt cause the increase in anxiety, is it a good idea to drop it back when things arnt stable yet.

(I know, no-one can answer those, but that's whats bothering me at the mo)
    Feeling a bit better now - actually, i've had a nasty cold over the past week, which might affect the meds (and my general mood) I s'pose.

Currently i'm at 6/10 (and rising!) on my meaningless scale.

Doctor agreed with me about reducing the sertraline back to 100mg, and suggested that I skip the extra 50 every other day. Personally, i'd rather just split the pill in half, and take 125 every day for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. Bit worried 'bout doing that though as I'm obviously not that stable yet on the pregabalin...

Iain

Hi Robin,

How's where you are with your dose and how you are feeling?

Hanshan

Hi Hanshan,
    It's over a week now I've been on the 200mg dose. On some days I have definitely noticed a slight feeling of calmness when my anxiety was not as great as it normally is (during social interaction, shopping trips etc) so maybe that indicates it is having some effect. I am due to see the doctor this week and will discuss the matter with him. I am hoping he will further increase the dose to maybe 300 mg and then I may be able to get a more realistic idea of whether it is working for me or not.
    "..being anxious on its own is incredibly tiring. Even if our neurochemicals were perfectly sorted, I'd imagine that it would take quite some time to recover." Think you might be right Iain, especially as I have just worked 14 straight days away from home averaging 14 hours a day...yep, come to think of it I am quite tired!!

Update. Now on 300mg daily with the option to increase to 450mg after 2 weeks.
    I feel the pregabalin has definitely taken some of the rough edges off my anxiety but I can't say I have noticed a significant improvement in my mood. Still not sure how much my anxiety is triggered by depression and how much the depression is the result of my anxiety. I don't really want to take any other kind of medication on top of the pregabalin but the GP did mention duloxetine as a posible alternative, although I know some people take anti-depressants in combination with the pregabalin.
    Anyway, hope this higher dose will improve things for me.

Hi Robin,

If you feel the pregabalin is having some positive effects at 300 mg per day, the benefits may increase at a higher dose. If you do, it should work quickly.

Pregabalin can also be combined with an antidepressant. I take mine with mirtazapine, and the combination seems to work well.

Good luck with your treatment. Are you also getting any CBT or other face to face therapy?

Hanshan

Hi hanshan,
    The GP I saw didn't recommend that I combine the pregabalin with another drug as she said it would only confuse matters as I wouldn't know which drug was working for me. I found this a slightly puzzling answer to be honest. Another GP I saw said that it was an option to take an anti-depressant in conjunction with the pregabalin so there you go, that's doctors for you!
    I am going to be having some kind of counselling but I have a blind spot where CBT is concerned because I keep picking holes in it and finding flaws and I don't want to spend all my time arguing with the therapist. I have been doing an online course but to be honest I think I will just be having normal counselling sessions and see how it goes from there.
    Thanks as ever for your input, much appreciated.

Hi robinbrum, Your thread has made great reading. I got my prescription filled for pregabalin over 1 month ago but have put off starting it until now (I am a chicken),But had concerns because my prescription was from my dentist for nerve pain and was worried that if it worked for my anxiety and other things that pregablin can be used for that my doctor may not continue me on it. But my dentist said if i find it does work for everything he would be willing to keep me on it and also my local mental health team has told me they would lean on the doctor to continue me on it ,have been discharged from the mental health team due to the progress i have made on my own (but have been told they are still there to help)

Must say my prescription is for 150mg aday but just starting out on 75mg at first, So only taken it for 2 days but must say i feel good. Been in the pub for 2 days on my own+family for a few hours (only on orange juice as dont drink anymore 1 year sober)

So hopfully i get no side effects and increase to 150mg next week.

Thumbs up Re: Pregabalin - Waiting For Lift Off

Quick update from me, i've just completed a week of reducing the sertraline by 1/6 to 125mg. Ok, thats not a lot, but i've learnt to take these things softly... Another week at that dose, then i'll be back to the 'old' 100mg dose I was on for so many years.

Suprisingly though I feel much better - Rob, I can understand what your Doc meant by not knowing which one would be helping. From what i've read though, pregabalin does not interact with other drugs, so presumably it is an easier propsition than some of the complicated cocktails people take for other conditions.

Now I'm not sure if the pregabalin is helping more now that i've reduced the sert., or if the sert was giving me extra anxiety as a side effect.

Either way, no complaints here. 7/10 on my scale :-)

Iain

Hi Robinbrum, I've only been on pregabalin for 4 days now at the starter dose 75mg and I think I'am seeing a big inprovement in my self i have been able to go out on my own for the first time in near on a year (3 days this week).
    Only thing i can see in the way off any side effects is last night i just could not sleep was like a hour after taking it i was wide awake and alert and also my heart-rate seems to be up a bit (also I have got a head cold).
    But other than that the main reason they gave it to me for nerve pain is working as well.
    Just about to finish my first week at 75mg and then increase to 150mg one in moring and night.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread Information