Thread: Chamomile

Chamomile

I've been researching Chamomile capsules for anxiety and low moods. I've tried the tea but cannot stand the taste. I read this article here:

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/cha...l-depression-1

So my chamomile capsules have just come today and tonight I will try some before bed. Has anyone tried the capsules before and had any relief from them?

Re: Chamomile

How has the chamomile capsules worked out? I might try drinking some chamomile tea tonight. Im afraid to take things that alter my mood because of past bad experiences with herbs as well as pharmaceuticul drugs but i might give chomomile a shot.

I used to drink it and the taste was pretty bad so I used to use honey to sweeten it but you can end up putting to much in and it being sickly. Its an aquired taste even with honey.

Interestingly, NICE have put forward research recommedations to srudy it further for GAD:

http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg11...eatment-of-gad

4.4 The effectiveness of chamomile and ginkgo biloba in the treatment of GAD

Is chamomile/ginkgo biloba more effective than placebo in increasing response and remission rates and decreasing anxiety ratings for people with GAD?

This question should be addressed using a placebo-controlled, double-blind randomised design to compare the effects of a standardised dose of chamomile (220–1100 mg) or ginkgo biloba (30–500 mg) in a readily available form, for example a capsule, with placebo. This should assess outcomes at the end of the trial and at 12-month post-trial follow-up. The outcomes chosen should include both observer- and participant-rated measures of clinical symptoms and functioning specific to GAD, and of side effects. There should be a health economic evaluation included and an assessment of quality of life. The trial should be large enough to determine the presence or absence of clinically important effects using a non-inferiority design. Mediators and moderators of response should be investigated.

Why this is important

GAD is a common mental health disorder and the results of this study will be generalisable to a large number of people. There is evidence for the efficacy of chamomile and ginkgo biloba in reducing anxiety in people with GAD but the evidence base is small (one study). However, the scarce literature on the effectiveness of other herbal interventions for treating GAD points to chamomile and ginkgo biloba as two of the more effective herbal interventions. Moreover, both these herbal remedies are widely available and relatively inexpensive. Furthermore, at present there is no scientific evidence of side effects or drug–herbal interactions in relation to chamomile or ginkgo biloba. As both these herbal interventions are readily available and have no known side effects, they could be used at an early stage as a means of preventing progression to drug treatments, which are associated with a number of undesirable side effects and dependency.

Chamomile tea works on the same neurotransmitters (GABA) as valium, but comes with few side effects and no issues with dependency. I found that in the past a cup of chamomile tea helped improve my anxiety within 10 minutes of drinking it - however its one of those things where you can build up tolerance over time. Now the same thing has no effect on me...

I would be interested in trying out the extract though - I'm guessing it would be stronger and thus more efficacious.

I don't drink anything else now. Tea and coffee binned years ago

Thread Information