Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High ESR level found in my blood tests

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

High ESR level found in my blood tests

I am really worried about this now after finding out today that i have high ESR levels, The doctor said it's inflammation but as i am having stomach problems recently i am terrified that i could have cancer as i have read that high ESR levels can point to cancer and things like kidney disease and other illnesses.

Anyone else on here had high ESR levels?

Re: High ESR level found in my blood tests

Do not worry, if you had cancer, or your doctor was worried about cancer, they would give you a scan straight away.

A high ESR is a sign of inflammation or infection. It could be a simple as you are under the weather - that will give you a high ESR level. Do not panic - there is something going on in your body, but it most probably is something very mild and will pass.

X

I get high ESR levels with my Crohn's as well

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Believe me, ESR is not what they will be looking for when it comes to cancer. A FBC that is all over the place is what they would be looking at.

As lecb, high ESR is a mark of infection or inflammation, and their are countless things it may or may not be when you consider all the things that can cause infection, mostly treatable.

Why are you automatically drawn to cancer?

Assuming that you didn't just have an ESR alone, was everything else ok? If so, please don't worry.xxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by debs71 View Post
    Believe me, ESR is not what they will be looking for when it comes to cancer. A FBC that is all over the place is what they would be looking at.

As lecb, high ESR is a mark of infection or inflammation, and their are countless things it may or may not be when you consider all the things that can cause infection, mostly treatable.

Why are you automatically drawn to cancer?

Assuming that you didn't just have an ESR alone, was everything else ok? If so, please don't worry.xxxxx
    I'm probably automatically drawn to Cancer because quite a few people in my family have died from it including someone who wasn't much older than me.

Hi Eggy, Take a look at this link, should put your mind at rest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythro...mentation_rate

all I know it doesn't much concern about cancer... it counts RBC precipitate in a period of 1 hour. ESR is of limited use as a screening test in asymptomatic patients.

My ESR levels are threw the roof as I have crohns disease aswell.

A high ESR level just indicates possible inflammation somewhere and my Consultant told me most of the time a doctor doesn't even take any notice of it as it proves nothing and certainly does not show any signs of disease in the body.

I too was diagnsed with high esr repeately over the last yrs. Just decided to search a bit more this time after a severe stomach pain. Will let u know, i am now with antibiotics for the last 8 days feeling better.

Ive had this aswell for about 10 years but I am fine :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information