Thread: Pain around belly button

Pain around belly button

I woke up this morning with a stabbing pain in and around my belly button. I get a few minutes grace but then its back.
    I saw my Dr late this afternoon and she examined me and took temp etc and said she was sure it wasn't appendicitis as I did not feel sick had no temp my abdomen is nowhere near tender enough. She also testes a urine sample and no infection there.
    She said if I was no better in morning to go back and she would for my benefit only take a blood test to see if my white blood cells are raised as they use that in diagnosing appendicitis, all it means is that you have infection so if you have abdo pain and raised cells they then investigate for appendicitis. If your white cells are normal then it is almost certainly not appendicitis or any other infection causing the pain.
    I wondered if my tummy button itself was the problem as being overweight I have a long closed tube for belly button but with the aid of two spoon handles!!! and a torch I opened it and it didn't look inflamed but it did hurt inside when touched, normally every week or so I clean it with a cotton bud and it doens't hurt ?????
    I told my GP that I would likely panic overnight about the pain and she said if the pain becomes constant, I feel sick or be sick or get a temp then go to hospital otherwise wait to see her tomorrow morning.
    It is such a strange pain, never moving from same spot and coming every few minutes. I also have severe lower bck problem that is crippling me at moment so all in all totally fed up and worried!

Re: Pain around belly button

Hi countrygirl

Hopefully yr snoozing away right now and are anxiety and pain free
    Can't offer much help and am glad to hear u got the support from yr doctor and u can go back today . Think people can get small hernia's around the old belly button causing discomfort and pain . Oh yeah and appendix pain often travels across the abdomen shortly after onset .

Hope u get on ok today
    Love Hope xx

Hi Countrygirl

I had this problem last year, I got a mild infection in my belly button and it was really painful. It hurt to even turn over in bed. I had a few baths with liquid savlon in it and put some savlon cream down it on a cotton bud and a week later it was gone. Hope this is of some help.

Joanna

Hi Countrygirl
    I had this and it was an umbilical hernia which is so common. I'm not saying it's this, but I woke up with mine as well! You'd have thought the doctor would have checked for this so maybe it is an infection. I hope you get it cleared up soon. The surgeon left me with my hernia so I just live with it now and it doesn't give me much bother!!
    x

Wow a very old post of mine - turned out to be IBS - I did have my appendix out and a big exploratory op eventually to rule out anything else then I had colonoscopy and gastroscopy!! My appendix was not infected and nothing else could be found at all and I still very occasionally get these attacks of stabbing pain in different places in my abdomen accompanied by upset bowels.

Thread Information