Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my jaw

my jaw

for the last few years ive had a really painful jaw.i always put it down to my sinuses but it cracks everytime i eat on both sides.sometimes it locks..does anyone know if this is due to anxiety and holding my jaw really tight.it always aches and it feels like someone has socked me one.it also gives me headache.xx

Re: my jaw

Hi Kelly

Yes i have the same thing, my jaw makes a right racket when i eat and sometimes but not always it's very painfull.
    I mentioned this to the dentist one day who sent me up the hospital for a full face x ray, it turned out the cartlidge between ear and jaw was a bit misplaced. Nothing they could do about it unfortunately, so all i can do is put up with it.
    Yours may be something entirely different but i'm sure it isn't much to worry about, if it's getting you down pop along to Dr and get it checked out and also to put your mind at rest.

I get a lot of pain in my jaw and around my ears. My dentist told me that its probably because I tense it when I get anxious or stressed. I suffer a lot from sinus trouble and this gives me pain in my jaw too.
    If you find yourself tensing your jaw, try to relax it by letting your mouth and bottom jaw go really loose. I wouldnt worry too much as it sounds like its got a lot to do with you tensing. Do you grind your teeth? This can cause pain in the jaw too.
    Maybe mention it to your dentist the next time you go and he can give you some advice too.

Hope this helps! x

Hi

I have had this pain in my jaw for about a year and a half now. It's anxiety making your muscles tight in this area. Also grinding your teeth at night, when you are asleep that is! I have a mouth guard from the hospital and there are exercises you can do to help. Ask you dentist to refer you to the hospital if it continues. The mouth guard does help. Ultimately I think relaxing the jaw is the best way to stop it. Easier said than done for me though!

thanks guys..ill ask when im at docs on weds...again!lol.x

I have this too. The Dr said it was TMJ which is an inflamation of the jaw joint and it is common amongst people suffering with anxiety. You can tense you jaw without even knowing, usually when you're asleep.

If I open my mouth too wide it hurts and my jaw also clicks on one side and I have a lump near my ear on the joint on the right side. It feels like my jaw is slightly misplaced. When I put my hands on both sides and open my mouth it's like my jaw opens different on both sides.

Also I am wondering if the pain I get in my face and eyes is something to do with this as well.

Do you get head and face pain with it?

yes hun i always get face pain with it and around my eyes.i always thought it was my sinuses.is there anything they can do about it...the jaw thing is annoying and it really aches but the facial pain is just awful.xx

I don't think there is anything. It's one of those things we bring on ourselves mostly by clenching. And my problem is that I think I do it my sleep so I am unconcious of it. I get a lot of tightness around my throat and jaw. Some people say about not letting yout ongue touch the roof of your mouth and let it drop, but for me it is gravitating to the roof of my mouth all the time!

I too thought the front face pain was to do with sinus but maybe I'm wrong, maybe it is to do with this jaw thing. It's nothing seriius anyway which is reassurring, just annoying and all you can do is take pain relief. Although I did read somewhere about physiotherapy.

I can't open my jaw very wide. At one point I could barely open it all at. And I get a clicking in my joint, only slightly but I can hear it. Just wondering if it is what is causing my tinnatus.

Sounds like TMJ. Do you grind your teeth at night? I have been seeing a massage therapist and see works on my jaw and it has been working wonders. I no longer have the horrible pain or the cracking anymore. Always a dentist can tell you if it is TMJ and perhaps give you a night guard for your teeth if necessary. They are quite expensive down here so I can afford one but I hear they work well.

Well my dentist has never mentioned anything. I'm not too confident in him mind you anyway, but that's another story.

Do you get tinnatus with TMJ? I wondered if there was a link. It seems to ger louder when I chew.

The pain in my mouth isn't there all the while, and I'm not sure if I grind my teeth. No one has ever said I do!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information