Thread: Moving From High Altitude To Sea Level

Moving From High Altitude To Sea Level

We have been in high altitude for four years.One mile and one half above sea level .We are moving in three weeks back to sea level and all that time have never been below 7600 ft..

I have tried to no avail to find anything related to this on the internet but cannot. I have heard that people that live at high altitude can suffer the same effects going back down to sea level as people that get high altitude sickness.

Does anyone know of this happening .. suffering with low altitude sickness?
    We did go one time to about 5000 ft for a day and felt weird.. please advise?

Re: Moving From High Altitude To Sea Level

I searched and couldn't find anything either, so it must not be a big problem. I think that just as you adjusted to living at the high altitude, so will you adjust to the lower altitude. One thing, the air won't be as thin, so you will probably have less trouble breathing and less trouble with your ears.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thats an interesting question. I guess it may affect you coz when I mountain walk in Wales I often get breathy n dizzy n my ears block. I assume you get used to it?? Be really interested if anybody posts anything useful...sorry I can't!

Hi Michael .You are feeling very anxious at the moment with all the moving and Virus etc ...Its perfectly understandable ..The body has its own way of adapting to altitudes etc .Some people dont feel any different and others feel a bit icky for a while .It will all settle in a short space of time .Hopefully you will feel better than you do now ,and get no effects whatsoever .Sometimes thinking you are going to be ill makes you ill .if you understand what I mean ? I think you are doing the right thing for you and your wife by moving BTW ...Good LUCK and do try to just accept your anxiety is causing all these thoughts and symptoms because of your current circumstances .Take care and hope you feel better soon luv Sue x

Thread Information