Thread: am i hearing voices?

am i hearing voices?

all of my life i have been very worried about getting some kind of illness, but it wasnt till 2004 when i started getting extreme anxiety and panic attacks that i started worrying about mental illness instead of physical illness. . i was in an extreme state of panic for months untill i was put on prozac (40mg)that helped me and after ten months i came off the prozac, well 4 months past and it started all over again, so i started the prozac again, but this time it made me panic more, so my doctor put me on lexapro (10mg), which seems to be working, its only been 2 weeks. i now read symptoms of every mental illness there is, and as i do, i convince myself for some strange reason that i am having those symptoms of the particular illness that i am reading. i now think that i hear voices, but i know they are my own thoughts, but i make them into a voice in my head, is this normal??it gets really annoying, because now i cant stop it, but its me doing it. i am scared i am gonna lose it one day, its all i think about. can someone help me out here?[?][?]

joe

whatever it is that you have, I have the same exact thing. I read this dang book about a girl becomming schizophrenic, and of course the next day I was convinced I was hearing voices. Low and behold my "voice" said to me the same exact thing as the voice in the book. I think with anxiety we are extremly open to sugestion. But illnesses such as schizophrenia dont work that way. I would bet that when you are busy doing something you dont hear any voices.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
    "I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance, never settle for the path of least resistance... When you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance"

"This too shall pass..."

Hi Joe

These are thoughts originating from within you, like a negative voice in your head and this is common to all of us. I too have thoughts that I sometimes call a voice in my head but it is part of the negative thinking and no indication at all that you are 'going to lose it' or are going mad.

These previous posts might help:

I'm new!
    http://www.nomorepanic.org.uk/lounge...?TOPIC_ID=1299
    Madness
    mentally ill?! worries
    Its happening again !
    hearing voices

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

joe id say this is similar to fearing health issues. you no it i s only your wrong thinking but that does not stop you fearing this and actually making scenarios to convince yourself you are actually right this time.

do you go for cbt at all. have you any support groups in your area for people who suffer with anxiety as this can really help
    jackie

in the mean time i hope we can help in just letting you no you are not alone
    jackie

hi you are not alone in this feeling of going mad i go through it from time to time.we are all here to support you. take care marcia

i have to do it for my kids if not for myself marciaxx

Hi Jo - I know exactly where your coming from, in fact I had the exact fear of voices in my head Nov/Dec time last year, then I had a clear few weeks, until recently, I fear Im getting them back slightly, It is very very frightening, I dont want to be on cipramil for the rest of my life, My husband wants a baby, and I know I cant be on them at the same time.

Please dont worry, we will get through this, its just anxiety....I hope! of course it is!

Joe, you have neurosis not psychosis.

When i was ill, I too was worried about contracting any mental illness on offer.

Next day, I was watching Bernie Mac on TV - I could hear a ladies voice saying something. I desparately struggled to hear what she was saying, convinced I was also Schizophrenic now.

Turned out it was just a cross broadcast. (My OH heard it as well but since I didn't mention it at the time nor did OH think to comment on it).

Can laugh about it now.

Thread Information