Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long to get out of system?

How long to get out of system?

I stopped taking Fluoxetine on Sunday because it was making my anxiety much worse rather than better (was on it for 4 weeks and seeing no improvements, just feeling worse). I'm still feeling the heightened anxiety and some of the tiredness (and nausea) from the tablets and just wondering how long it takes to get out of the system? I was on 20mg a day and because of anxiety and stopped taking it without withdrawing as I was on it for just under 4 weeks so not long enough to need to withdraw slowly.

Re: How long to get out of system?

seems like you have done the right things just hang on in there till drug is out of your system and then assess your anxiety

Hi Cat80

Sorry you are still feeling poorly....i think i read somewhere it takes around 7 days but don't quote me on that....the only person that would really know is your doctor i guess??

I just took my first dose of 40mgs this morning so feeling very apprehensive...will let you know how it goes. I hope you find something that helps you soon and remember when the CBT becomes available grab it with both hands!!

Take care of yourself and try to keep busy (says she!!!) Good at giving advice but not taking it!!!

Fluoxetine is quite long acting (half life about 2 days)...so doing the maths it would take more than 2 weeks to leave system. But the good news is that below a certain concentration in the blood it wont produce any noticable effect, so say within a week it is likely that you wont feel the nausea and stuff

Thanks for the replies everyone

I just wanted to know because it's my birthday on the 19th and my Mum and sister want to take me out for a meal but I feel that sick and anxious at the moment I can't say yes I will go. Fingers crossed the nausea and increased anxiety subsides soon as it's awful, really hits me worse at night for some reason.

Juppster, really good luck with the 40mg dose, I really really hope it helps you. Let us know how you get on.

I'm going to go back to the Dr's in a couple of weeks and ask if there is something I can try that is aimed at mainly anxiety. I just want to be on meds when I'm having CBT so I can get the full effect of the CBT (I've read it works best when on meds as well)

Hi, soz to hear it didnt work for you, its a real shame you had to suffer on it for 4 weeks b4 you found out. I only took it for a few days but was told by both my GP and Psych that there are no withdrawel symptoms when coming off it but to wash out of your system it can take up to 72 hours. From my own experience I do think you suffer the effects until it washes out of your system (if you had bad side effects whilst on it) I stopped taking it on a saturday and felt rough for prob 4/5 days then felt much better after that x Georgesmum

.........also ive been told (by Psych) that Citalopram works best for just anxiety. I had 20mg of Citalopram and had side effects so stopped taking it after 3 days! didnt give it long enough really, just panicked about the side effects. My psych says you can start on as little as 5mg of citalopram and work your way up (to lessen the side effects) but bear in mind that doing it that way will mean it will take longer for you to feel the effects (so my psych tells me) x Georgesmum

Thanks for the reply Georgesmum. Hopefully I'll feel better soon before going back to the Dr's again to try yet another anxiety tablet.

I tired Citalopram last year, I was on 20mg once a day and stayed on it for 10 weeks but wasn't getting any better with my anxiety so my Dr took me off it as it wasn't working. Since then I've been trying to find the right meds and am still searching for that little miracle that will help me feel better. Hope you feel better soon Gerogesmum

Smile Re: How long to get out of system?

Hi there Cat80

I'm new to this forum but you sound exactly like me!. I was prescribed 10mg of citalopram in January for anxiety - stayed on for 6/7 weeks and as it wasn't doing aything for me I came off and my doc prescribed prozac- been on it 5 weekstoday and hve hit heightened anxiety. made some emergency after hours calls today as it's Easter and spoke to a doctor who advied me to come off as it should have had some effect by now(20mg) of prozac. I think mine is a hormonal problem - getting to that age of pre menopause and as my period is due I think this is increasingmy anxiety as well. Have decided to do without meds and concentrate on evening primrose , vitimin b complex and up the exercise- it can't be any worse than being on these awful drugs.
    Perhaps you can let me know how you are going on in a few days.

Yvonne

Hi there Cat80

I'm new to this forum but you sound exactly like me!. I was prescribed 10mg of citalopram in January for anxiety - stayed on for 6/7 weeks and as it wasn't doing aything for me I came off and my doc prescribed prozac- been on it 5 weekstoday and hve hit heightened anxiety. made some emergency after hours calls today as it's Easter and spoke to a doctor who advied me to come off as it should have had some effect by now(20mg) of prozac. I think mine is a hormonal problem - getting to that age of pre menopause and as my period is due I think this is increasingmy anxiety as well. Have decided to do without meds and concentrate on evening primrose , vitimin b complex and up the exercise- it can't be any worse than being on these awful drugs.
    Perhaps you can let me know how you are going on in a few days.

Yvonne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information