Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: chocolate?

chocolate?

does anyone find chocolate adds to their anxiety?

a lot of references say it is full of good ingredients which can help with depression etc...

this link

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...3/s1603927.htm

contradicts all that, ahh these health studies, all so confusing,

I enjoy the odd treat, but it does seem to trigger headaches for me

Dave

Don't forget it has caffeine in it so that can cause headaches.

I am not a typical woman and hardly ever eat it LOL.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
    People will forget what you did
    But people will never forget how you made them feel

Hiya

Chocolate contains caffeine which is a stimulant. This means that in an already anxious person it could stimulate the adrenal glands to produce more adrenaline. Remember its the adrenaline in the body that gives the feelings of anxiety.

I reckon if you eat enough of the stuff it might make you more anxious. I know if I eat it say with a cup of coffee, it definately makes me more jittery. This could be a combination of the caffeine in the coffee and the chocolate.

Unlike Nicola, I'm a typical woman. I'd live on the stuff if I could!!

Lexxie

Hi

I love chocolate, although i do know its bad for you!

As a matter of fact this was the first post i read when i came online, because it was titled "Chocolate", ohhh i must be addicted ![:I]

love

Andrea
    xxxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

If you are tired, like from a panic attack, then it is a good way to get some sugar into the body to awken it.

As the others say, chocolate contains caffine whuch can cause anxiety (and shaking) to become worse.

"My teddy last night was a paper bag, to keep my safe."

Some days I do find that chocolate adds to the anxiety. I love chocolate and I have cut back alot since the anxiety. I also find that Coca Cola is worse than chocolate for anxiety so I don't drink this anymore.

Deb

Hi Dave, no-ones mentioned sugar in a negative light yet. You should also make sure you know just how much refined sugar you're eating. Sugar can effect your mood as it rapidly changes levels internally in your body in response to a high intake.

Have a look at this BBC report on a study done by MIND. Sugar tops the list of Stressors, followed by cafeine, alcohol and then chocolate.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2264529.stm

Krakers.

Hi Dave!

Chocolate (and red wine!) is a dietry staple for granny [:P][Yeah!]! But you're right, it can make things worse (been there dun that!) if you OD on it.

My counsellor told me to avoid it before going to bed (so no more hot chocolate at bedtime for me [V][Sigh...]!)

BUT..........granny's philosophy is still 'A little of what you fancy does you good' !! So I suppose 'moderation' is the operative word here.

lotsa choccy luv

GG [:P]

xx

'There are no such things as strangers; just friends we haven't made yet!'

ggranny,

yep, I agree, the obvious way to create a craving is to deny oneself, so a little portion is good idea.

I was stressed and had those initial runaway anxiety signs yesterday at work, I had a few squares of dairy milk at t break, and I did feel less stressed. Perhaps like others are saying it is the sugar fix too that we go for.

I found it interesting that some say there is the rebound effect, where after the initial boost to certain brain chemicals (endorphines, dopamine etc), there is then the 'down side', where one can feel worse (from a neurotransmitter perspective).

I am a big believer in this neurotransmitter theory. I believe that psychoactive substances in coffee, choc, wine etc can interfere with our delicate chemical balance in the brain. It is when this imbalance occurs, we experience greater fear, anxiety, stress

http://www.keepmyfile.com/download/a7339e1294987

this is a good pdf on those neurotransmitters,

regards

Dave

Hi Dave!

Just had a look at the file................well, I read the first two paragraphs about 20 times and I'm working on the diagram now [:P][Duh!]lol....

Seriously though, it really does look very intersting so I shall persevere with it...........may need a couple of glasses or six to get me through it though hehe!

Thanks for the link

lotsa luv

GG[:P]

xx

'There are no such things as strangers; just friends we haven't made yet!'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information