Thread: Just started taking cipralex - need advice

Just started taking cipralex - need advice

I have been taking cipralex for about a week now but I have been taking Diapam for the past few weeks. Since taking Cipralex I have felt the most tired I have ever felt in my life along with strange vision and feeling dizzy all the time. This seems normal looking at other peoples posts. However I am having other side effects that I am concerned about so just looking for some reassurance. I have aches in my joints (a bit like when you have flu), a really painfull stiff neck and I'm not going to the loo as much as usual (I usually have to go all the time but since taking the meds I hardly ever feel like I have to go), has anyone else experienced this?

Any posts would be much appreciated

Re: Just started taking cipralex - need advice

Hey Emmalou44. Sorry bit slow to post. I did used to get some aches in my lower legs but location might be personal. My family have a history of lower leg pain so maybe that's my weak spot. I did get a lot of headachy feelings at the start BUT i already had loads of those anyway so it was hard to tell the meds from the problem.

What dose are you on? What time of day do you take it? When relative to that do you eat?
    As I recall, being lazy not looked it up this time, the meds can alter "digestive throughput". Remember also that going to the toilet a lot, and especially (actual or near) diarrhea, or just having to rush to the toilet are common symptoms of anxiety and/or stress. So a reduction in that and a more normal bowel could all be signs that the medication is helping your mood even if it is producing side effects.

Thanks for the reply. I went to see the doctor yesterday because he wasnted to see how i was getting on with my 10mg dose. he said pretty much the same thing in that i am not going as much because the medication is working however i did have an unpleasent experience on the loo last night where i had a huge pain in my tummy before a huge bout of dierrhea - nice! The other things that im concerned about are my inflamed tonsils that have been that way for about 4 weeks. They arent red just inflamed and m neck hurts too. The doctor refused to look at them because he said that would fel my anxiety and that they are bound to be as my immune system is weak. I have also lost some weight too which im worried about.

In answer to your questions i am taking 10mg a day first thing in the morning after breakfast. i am also taking a 2mg dose of diazapam. Any more advice would be much appreciated x

Hi there

i am on cipralex and before that citalopram and some others. i get leg pain quite a lot. 1 week is not enough time as you may still be going through side effects so try and persevere even if you feel horrible as in a few weeks this will lift x

Hey Emmalou. OK. Dose in the morning is good. Dose after food is rumoured to be better although its only mentioned in a few places on the web. I'd recommend a healthy breakfast as something ladden in sugar (ie. most cerials etc) will interact with your blood sugar and anxiety triggers. Esc' can also unsettle your sugar cycle so slow carbs should be the goal, although at times you may need something sweeter to rebalance yourself. About the time I started the meds I was encouraged onto a healthier diet for collesterol so things like: wholemeal bread and fruit are good. If you find this all leaves you feeling about off colour in the morning (ie. a bit hypogycemic - low blood sugar) then a sensible supper before bed may help to mediate that. It can help you body avoid a low sugar = higher anxiety state on waking.

You may find the last troubled bowel was liked to the worry about the meds and the visit to the GP. Anxiety and the bowels are often not a good mix!

Thanks kevin. My worries have now switched back to my neck and tonsils. My tonsils are inflamed and sometimes hurt. I also have pain in my ears and neck. I can find things to do with neck problems and anxiety but not connected to inflamed tonsils or ear pain. I put it down to a touch of tonsilitus but ive had it for about 5 weeks now and it just wont shift. The doctor says its related to my immune system being down at the moment and he refuses to give me any medication, any ideas??

Many, many thanks

It seems slightly bizaar to offer you no help with persistent tonsilitus (!) especially if you have a low immune system. But then Drs are mad and the NHS relies on as many patients going away (or dying) as possible.

I'd suggest trying to bolster your system: wholemeal bread rather than white stodge, fresh fruit and veg (lidl & aldi are good & cheap for this), it may be worth adding a GOOD multi-mineral/multi-vitamin for a while. Try and get advice in a good health food shop on the supplement as many pills try to list as many ingredients as possible but include insignificant amounts of some/most. And remember that most RDAs (recommended daily amounts) are actually the amount below which people are seen to get ill, so even they are not really too informative. It may be worth going for something in the "Super" or "Mega" category which are higher dose than normal everyday Boots ones, since you know your system is low and needs the support. An alternative simpler thought would be just a Vitamin C supplement unless you are going to go the fruit/veg route. This can be very helpful with lingering infections.

Thread Information